13 Reasons Why (Not)

13 Reasons Why (Not)

AKA, why triggering movies and television shows do more harm than good.

180
13 Reasons Why (Not)

The Netflix original series 13 Reasons Why undoubtedly had a huge impact on the topic of mental illness and bullying in mainstream media. The show prompted many to begin talking about something often ignored due to a negative stigma. Yet, is all of this a good thing?

While the show does address problems that many teens are facing today, it also depicts graphics scenes of upsetting scenarios such as self-harm, sexual assault, and suicide. The decision to include a strong amount of detail in these scenes brings into question the creators’ intentions.

In a world that often pokes fun at those who seem “overly sensitive”, there is a fine line between a talking point and triggering media. 13 Reasons Why’s considerably triggering scenes walk this line, and are difficult to justify. Not only are these scenes a potential issue, but the show’s plot line is also quite the opposite of reassuring.

Warning: spoilers ahead!

Season two is set up to defend and obtain justice for Hannah Baker, a young girl who committed suicide. However, where this show could have focused on the dangers of mental illness and what can happen to a young girl when her cries for help are ignored, the court scenes choose to paint Hannah in a negative light over and over again. If this is a show meant to start conversation on mental illness and stigma, why is it that mental illness is rarely, if ever, talked about? Instead, 13 Reasons Why follows a script meant to create a dramatic character and plot that is more entertaining than hopeful.

Why do we need to hear about the past mistakes of a dead girl? To build an argument that she, the image of a typical high school girl, deserved her fate?

Besides showing an improper portrayal of a struggling character, the show basically glamorizes both self harm and suicide. An anonymous student also agreed with this, naming it “a show that should never have been aired”. She also addresses those that do not see the show as problematic. “I know there’s people saying ‘if it holds triggers for you then just don’t watch it’ but it’s more than that. The show is glorifying and publicizing mental illness in a way it shouldn’t”. The show blatantly ignores the issues of “copycats” or those who may be triggered by these graphic images. Trigger warnings shown at the beginning of episodes lazily address this and try to help, but can only do so much to prevent vulnerable teens from watching such a popular mainstream series.

When it comes to bullying campaigns and attempts at reassurance, most everyone has heard the common phrase “it gets better”. For many, if not all, it does. Yet, in an attempt to show the darker side, 13 Reasons Why shows just the opposite.

For whom in this show does it “get better”? Jessica gets to see her rapist walk away from court with nothing more than three months probation. The school is not found legally responsible for the death, despite multiple opportunities to notice that this girl was struggling and for defending a rapist. Justin battles a heroin addiction, only to end the season still on drugs despite all of the hard work put in by himself and others. Tyler is attacked and sexually assaulted to the point where he feels no other option than gun violence. The list goes on. Is this the message we should be giving to those who are currently struggling with similar issues, who truly feel that nothing will ever get better?

Certainly, this is a script written for entertainment purposes, despite the creators’ assertions that it aims to support those currently going through what the characters are feeling. The topics are not taken seriously. Tragic and triggering material is carelessly thrown around.

The same anonymous student as earlier also stated that 13 Reasons Why “holds content certain younger viewers should not be seeing. The conversations...are more about the drama and plot rather than talk about the serious topics its portraying”.

The only one who truly seems happier by the end of the series is Skye, a girl struggling with bipolar disorder, who ends up in the hospital after an incident with cutting. Is this really the message we want to be delivering? That you are more likely to receive help through self harm and hospitalization, rather than reaching out for help before it gets to that point?

Unfortunately, this may be the current reality we face in our world today. Still, it is sad that this show decides to show the darker possible reality, rather than a hopeful future for those who are struggling. If this show was truly created to break stigma and start positive conversation, it would have shown what good can come out of reaching out for help, and how suicide should never be an option. Hannah’s list of “thirteen reasons why not” discovered in the last episode is a half-hearted attempt to make up for the devastating content shown throughout two seasons of triggering material.

I will give credit to the show for sparking conversation regarding mental illness and similar topics, but at what cost? Suicide contagion is a real and dangerous issue. Glamorizing suicide and self harm in this way may get people talking but, for many, may also push struggling teens into a dark place that makes them feel as if Hannah’s decision is the only option for them as well.