'13 Reasons Why' Is Not A Bad Show

'13 Reasons Why' Is Not A Bad Show

Everyone has different opinions, so let me have mine.

150
'13 Reasons Why' Is Not A Bad Show
Netflix | YouTube

"13 Reasons Why" is probably one of the most controversial shows to come out in a long time. It has suffered plenty of backlash to go around, yet still continues to push through the criticism and make more seasons.

Personally, I don't think "13 Reasons Why" is a bad show.

Many people believe that it glorifies suicide, or makes suicide out to be a type of revenge fantasy. Many argue that it does more harm than good, but it bothers me that they say these things based on their own opinions of the show. How are they to know if it actually does more harm than good?

The show has helped people. While it has not helped everyone, the fact that it has helped anyone at all is a good thing and is something that shouldn't be ignored.

"13 Reasons Why" is an important show. It brings to light many things that other shows either shy away from or touch on briefly and never mention again. Since it is based on a book in which a girl named Hannah Baker commits suicide, suicide is the biggest topic that it tackles.

I don't fully understand why people are so upset over the way the show goes about portraying Hannah Baker's struggles. Many argue that it isn't realistic, or that it creates a revenge fantasy because of the way the character goes about ending her life. It's a sad, difficult topic; I understand. But what I don't understand is that people are upset that Hannah is portrayed in the show and everything that comes along with her is her character in the book.

So why get mad at the show when it is based off of a book?

I also think it's wrong of people to say that it doesn't accurately portray the issues it presents. Everyone who has experienced issues of any kind experiences them differently. There is no one way to experience anything.

Another big issue that people have with "13 Reasons Why" is that they say there aren't enough trigger warnings. There is a trigger warning at the beginning of each episode. The producers also provide a suicide helpline at the end of the episodes. If you are someone who struggles with topics such as these and can be triggered easily, then the solution is to not watch the show.

I know that not everyone is going to like it, but it's important to let people who want to watch the show, watch the show. Just because someone doesn't agree with you that "13 Reasons Why" is a terrible show, it doesn't make them a terrible person.

I won't write about any spoilers, but the second season tackles even more issues than the first. It's a necessary show to have around at a time like this. Yes, some scenes are hard to watch, but it's because it's showing the unfortunate reality of some peoples' lives.