13 Realizations You Face When You Leave Baltimore To Go To College

There's no one else like us.

69

As much as we might complain about Baltimore, you will quickly realize just how much you miss it when you're gone.

1. People will make fun of you for saying Baldimore.

"Where are you from?" "Baldimore" "Where?" "Baldimore" "Oh, BalTimore" "No."

2. Many places will claim to have Maryland crab cakes.

Just because a menu says they're from Maryland does not make it true. You will never find a crab cake as delicious as the one you find in Baltimore.

3. Apparently you have an accent.

Many people will tell you that you have a "Baltimore accent", and then proceed to try and copy it. Just smile and nod.

4. No one has heard of Berger Cookies.

Let that sink in. No one besides Baltimoreans have truly lived.

5. Everyone assumes you've been in some "rough" situations.

No. Not everyone from Baltimore is like the select group shown on the news.

6. It isn't "normal" to put Old Bay on everything.

In fact, many people will question you when you say that you wish you had Old Bay with you to put on your fries.

7. No one cares as much about Hairspray as you.

Good morning Baltimore!

8. People won't understand what the 410 is.

It's an area code, people; not the first 3 digits of a zip code.

9. Most people won't believe that you came out of the womb knowing how to fully pick a crab.

What can we say? We truly are just that gifted.

10. It takes some explaining to get people to understand Baltimore city is more than just the "bad part" of the city.

Between places like Inner Harbor, Fells Point, and other beautiful places around the Chesapeake Bay, Baltimore is truly one of the most amazing cities.

11. People don't understand why you cringe every time someone says they're from Pittsburgh.

Correction Sh*ttsburgh.

12. *Cue the 93.1 WPOC theme song* you won't be hearing anymore.

Baltimore has some of the best radio stations, and moving away from home and having to search the radio for new stations is never fun.

13. And the saddest realization of all...when people sing the national anthem they don't "OOOOOH" the way we Baltimoreans do.

You just have to hear it to understand it.