As a Christian metalhead since age 12, I have received a lot of backlash from people regarding my music choices. Whether subtly or openly, many of us have been judged by American society for enjoying music that has screaming.
While there are sub-genres of metal that are demonic, usually from the black metal subgenre, your average mosher with gauges and vans who listens to that darn "screamo" music isn't worshipping Satan. He or she is probably the nicest guy or girl ever and the band is probably screaming some deep lyrics.
Here are 13 reactions you have definitely heard as a metalhead.
1. Oh, you listen to that screamo music?
2. Can you actually understand what they're saying?
3. Ooooh... *polite smile*
4. Isn't that the devil's music?
5. Really? I didn't expect that!
6. But you're so nice?
7. Nice! I like some metal! "Cool! What bands?" "Five Finger Death Punch and Slipknot!"
8. I think I could get into it if they weren't screaming
9. Yeah, I feel that. I went through a phase, too. I listened to My Chemical Romance and Green Day, like, every day for three months
10. Why are the bands so angry all the time?
11. Don't people punch each other at those concerts?
12. Oh, I just like real music too much to listen to metal
13. Isn't that the music where they scream?found to reduce stress, irritability, and to enhance happiness. We have been telling people for years how the music makes us happier, more relaxed, and optimistic, but only in recent years have significant studies shown that what we have been saying may be true. My personal experience, as well as many others, shows that metal helps us process our emotions, and feel inspired.
We love metal. We love the screaming. It is real music. Moshing is fun. The music makes us happy. The bands aren't angry. It's not screamo.