12 Must Visit Local Businesses In Thomas, West Virginia

Thomas has recently undergone intensive revitalization and transformation into a quirky and quaint destination.

375
Lauren Frick

Thomas, West Virginia is a small town that can only be found by those who already know where it is. Chances of stumbling across it accidentally are slim to none unless you are heading to nearby Canaan Valley Ski Resort or Blackwater Falls, but Thomas has a charm all its own that is worth seeing for yourself. Formerly a coal town that faded into obscurity, Thomas has recently undergone intensive revitalization and transformation into a quirky and quaint destination. Explore the local galleries, antique shops, food, live music and so much more. Check out these 12 local businesses for the true Thomas experience.

Galleries:

1. The White Room

The White Room features "extraordinary, individual, novel, distinctive, unusual, remarkable, unexpected, peculiar, striking, uncommon & refreshingly unique works of fine art" from several artists in many media. My personal favorites are the found metal sculptures of Nathan Baker. The White Room is always open Friday-Sunday 11 a.m. through 5 p.m. and by appointment.

2. Creature

Creature is a solo gallery of the art of Seth. Seth creates what he calls "conceptual cartoons," which are incredibly whimsical and yet insightful ink drawings and multimedia collages. Seth's "Creatures of the Heart" series is sure to captivate. For art lovers on a small budget, Seth offers 5x7 prints and illustrated buttons. Creature's hours vary.

3. Lamplight

Lamplight offers more contemporary art in the hopes of promoting "the empowering nature of expression through art." This gallery is set apart in its selection of wearable art. Lamplight is open weekly 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Antique Shops:

4. Riverfront Antique and Thrift

Riverfront Antique and Thrift offers a variety of furniture, housewares, and much more. they occasionally host events like wine tastings and antique car shows. Riverfront is open Wednesday through Sunday. Hours vary.

5. Three Castle Antiques

Three Castle Antiques offers a wide selection of books, records, and art prints. They display their wares artfully, and picking through their collection is joy. Three Castle Antiques is open Thursday through Sunday.

Clothing:

6. Frock and Roll Vintage

This vintage clothing store lives in the Quattro Music building. What the collection lacks in size, it makes up for in charm. Frock and Roll offers clothing, accessories, oddities, & ephemera Wednesday through Saturday.

Eateries:

7. Tip Top

Tip Top serves the best coffee in Thomas with a full espresso bar and delightful baked goods. Check out their selection of fine chocolates artfully prepared and packaged. Tip Top also offers "small batch spirits and exceptional cocktails." The cafe opens daily at 8 a.m. and stays open late.

8. Flying Pigs Cafe

Flying Pigs Cafe serves breakfast and lunch daily in a homey diner setting with great service. The cafe is rated among the top ten breakfast spots in West Virginia but goes easy on the wallet. Flying Pigs is open 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday through Monday.

9. Front Street Grocers

If you are looking for wholesome, natural foods stop in Front Street Grocers. Vegan, gluten-free, and dairy free snacks and ingredients are available. Try one of their more than 20 flavors of all natural popsicles including frozen kombuchas. Front Street Grocers is open daily at 8 a.m.

10. The Purple Fiddle

The Purple Fiddle is a popular destination for live music from an eclectic assortment of musicians both touring and local. Enjoy hummus and pita, sandwiches, and local ice cream along with the show. Over 50 micro-brewed beers are available. The Purple Fiddle is family friendly and welcomes people of all ages at all times.

Accommodations:

11. The Purple Fiddle Hostel

The Purple Fiddle also offers accommodations on its second and third floors. The hostel is perfect for anyone travelling on a budget at $25 per person per night. Clean linens, two sitting rooms, and a full kitchen are available. Guests in the hostel get the extra benefit of sharing quarters with travelling bands.

12. The Fiddler's Roost Guest House

If you are looking to stay somewhere close to the music with a little more privacy, The Fiddler's Roost Guest House may be for you. The guest house is reasonably priced and pet friendly. Check in at the Purple Fiddle.