13 Albums That Impacted My Life For The Better

Believe me when I say that music is therapeutic as hell.

209
Lysee

Music has always been there for me when nothing else was. Some melody has played in my head through the best of times, through the worst of times, and even through the desensitized stillness of the mediocre times.

Believe me when I say that music is therapeutic as hell. The soundtrack to my life consists of many genres from many different time periods (however, while most of them are from the 90s-2010s, I still have a significant appreciation for the 60s, 70s, and 80s). These songs come from collections of albums that I hold incredibly dear to my heart, and these aren’t even half of them.

Because it’s my lucky number, I’ve decided to curate a list of thirteen different albums that are part of the soundtrack to my life. These are thirteen albums that have been with me through every pivotal (and not so pivotal) moment in my life. These are thirteen albums that have changed me for the better and have made me into the woman I am today. Keep in mind that this list is in no particular order because of their significance to me.

1. "Born This Way" - Lady Gaga (2011)

Notable tracks: "Electric Chapel", "Bloody Mary", "Scheiße"

If anyone knows anything about me, it’s that Gaga is my idol. I was hooked on her hooks since she released her debut single "Just Dance." I knew she was a pop culture icon the moment she performed "Paparazzi" at the 2009 MTV VMAs with fake blood dripping down her lacy white leotard. Needless to say, one of her albums were definitely going to make the cut on this list. I chose "Born This Way" because it was released at a time in my life where I struggled with my worth and self-identity, but Gaga reminded me that no matter who I was going to be, I would always be a star.

2. "Hot Fuss" - The Killers (2004)

Notable tracks: "All These Things That I've Done"; "Andy, You're a Star"; "Everything Will Be Alright"

The debut record from The Killers will always hold a special place in my heart. While the band was figuring out who they were in the music scene, they captivated listeners like me with hits like "Somebody Told Me" and "Mr. Brightside." Like track 12 on this very record, their repertoire is indeed “Glamorous Indie Rock & Roll.” The Vegas natives took me out of real life and inserted me into this almost cheap and glamorous narrative (the same way "Almost Famous" did).

3. "Speak Now" - Taylor Swift (2010)

Notable tracks: "Enchanted", "Last Kiss", "Haunted"

Ah, pre-pop Taylor Swift. Those were the days. Not that I don’t love pop phenomenon Taylor who claims that the old version of herself is dead, but country starlet Taylor will always be a huge part of my life. "Speak Now" was the first physical record I bought with my own money. I had just turned twelve and it was a journey for me to get lost into her memorable lyrics and songbook mysteries, even when I hadn’t exactly resonated with them just yet. Now that I have in several aspects, I can still stand by this record and say that it’s my favorite Swift one to date.

4. "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" - Kanye West (2010)

Notable tracks: "Gorgeous (feat. Kid Cudi, Raekwon)", "All of the Lights", "Monster (feat. Rick Ross, Jay-Z, Nicki Minaj, Bon Iver)"

Yes, it is possible to be both a Kanye and Taylor fan, despite all of their “beef.” "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" also came out in 2010, however, I didn’t get into it like I should have until 2012-2013. I’m glad I waited, because I was able to understand more of the themes of West’s bars. This record, in my humble opinion, is one of the greatest of all time. "All of the Lights" alone features so many renowned artists such as Rihanna, Alicia Keys, Fergie, and Elton John.

5. "Heartthrob" - Tegan & Sara (2013)

Notable tracks: "Now I'm All Messed Up", "Drove Me Wild", "I Was a Fool"

If you want to listen to the perfect record while coming out of a relationship and taking a one way trip to heartbreak, "Heartthrob" is the one for you. I had always loved the Canadian pop duo growing up, but this record flipped a switch within me. The genre was more 80s pop inspired and filled with synths than any of their previous bodies of work. The lyrics and production are quality and still hold that authenticity that Tegan and Sara are so well known for.

6. "By the Way" - Red Hot Chili Peppers (2002)

Notable tracks: "Can't Stop", "The Zephyr Song", "I Could Die for You"

RHCP is one of my favorite bands of all time, if not my favorite. "By the Way" just so happens to be a very personal record to me. Whether you want to let loose or reflect on your ex-lovers, "By the Way" has a song for just about any situation. This record is known for its “melodic and subdued emotions,” not to mention the next-level basslines on nearly every track. It’s also no mystery that the Peppers’ distinctive funk-wave sound from "By the Way" has loosely inspired current hits like Charlie Puth’s "Attention."

7. "Pure Heroine (Extended Version)" - Lorde (2013)

Notable tracks: "Ribs", "Buzzcut Season", "Bravado"

Lorde is an artist who is completely ahead of her time, and she exemplifies that effortlessly in her debut record, "Pure Heroine." At just 16, she provided us with brilliantly haunting lyrics about the truth of adolescence. This was released just as I started my freshman year of high school, and I resonated with every song on a whole other level. It felt refreshing to know that someone else gets it, especially when Lorde is merely one year older than I am. The extended version of this album also includes songs from her EP The Love Club and a cover of The Replacements’ “Swingin Party.”

8. "+" - Ed Sheeran (2011)

Notable tracks: "U.N.I"; "You Need Me, I Don't Need You"; "Small Bump"

Ed Sheeran proved his undeniable talent to the world with his signature loop-pedal mastery while performing songs from his widely recognized album, "+". While I had known he had written hits for British boy band One Direction, I hadn’t been introduced to his raw talent until I delved into the world of “The A-Team.” From this moment, I knew Ed Sheeran would break records and provide us with some of the greatest love songs of our current era.

9. "In the Zone" - Britney Spears (2003)

Notable tracks: "Toxic", "Me Against the Music (feat. Madonna)", "Touch of my Hand"

How could I not include the renowned princess of pop? With her unique vocals, Spears served us with nothing but bops when it came to her fourth studio album, In the Zone. We were gifted with the masterpiece that is "Toxic," along with its iconic music video, and a Madonna collaboration. If you want to escape the harsh realities of real life, you can definitely be in the zone with this dance record.

10. "Tragic Kingdom" - No Doubt (1995)

Notable tracks: "Spiderwebs", "Sunday Morning", "Excuse Me Mr."

Before Gwen Stefani was known for her B-A-N-A-N-A-S, she was the frontwoman of the legendary ska band No Doubt. Although it was released almost exactly 3 years before I was born, this record instilled one of the first waves of feminism within me thanks to “Just a Girl.” Stefani also penned one of the greatest breakup songs of all time, “Don’t Speak,” while her ex-boyfriend Tony Kanal was still the bassist for the band (ouch). With the perfect ratio of breakup ballads and headbangers, "Tragic Kingdom" gives a great amount of purpose to my life.

11. "Strange Desire" - Bleachers (2014)

Notable tracks: "Shadow", "Wild Heart", "You're Still a Mystery"

Jack Antonoff, who is notably known for his production on Lorde’s "Melodrama" and Taylor Swift’s "1989" and "reputation," gifted us with the 80s homage that is "Strange Desire" in 2014. While I’ve always loved Antonoff’s work, whether it was as the frontman of Steel Train or the lead guitarist for fun., Bleachers has given me everything I ever needed in post-2000s music. His deep vocals run across synths and chords that come straight out of a John Hughes film. The 80s was one of the greatest decades for music, and Antonoff has brought it back to us brilliantly.

12. "Ultraviolence" - Lana Del Rey (2014)

Notable tracks: "Sad Girl", "Old Money", "Florida Kilos"

While Del Rey took over the music scene as the “ghetto Nancy Sinatra” in 2011, "Ultraviolence" takes the cake when it comes to overall consistency in her bodies of work. Produced by Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys, "Ultraviolence" screams more psychedelic rock than any of Del Rey’s previous records, which are known to be vintage, dreamy pop. While I fell in love with Lana Del Rey because of her 60s dream girl persona on 2012’s Born to Die, the vintage feel is still apparent on her third album. Del Rey uses more of her deeper range to create an authenticity that could be found on a Fleetwood Mac record.

13. "Beyoncé" - Beyoncé (2013)

Notable tracks: "Haunted", "Rocket", "Superpower (feat. Frank Ocean)"

Since her Destiny’s Child days, Beyoncé Knowles has progressively proven to us that she is a pop culture icon, and this self-titled record proves it. As the first visual record she dropped as a surprise with no promo whatsoever, Beyoncé serves us with feminist anthems (“***Flawless”) and sensual sensations (“Partition,” “Blow,” “Rocket”), all while making us get up out of our seats and dancing our lives away.

Honorable Mentions (Because I Couldn’t Get Away With Not Mentioning These)

1. "Melodrama" - Lorde (2017)

Notable tracks: "Sober", "Hard Feelings / Loveless", "Writer in the Dark"

The four year anticipation between "Pure Heroine" and "Melodrama" was well worth it. While Lorde described the haunting truths of adolescence on her first record, her follow-up describes heartbreak and the transition from adolescence to adulthood. Also, it was produced solely by her and Jack Antonoff and served as the soundtrack to my summer of 2017.

2. "American Teen" - Khalid (2017)

Notable tracks: "Saved"; "8TEEN"; "Young, Dumb, & Broke"

It’s no secret that Khalid is indeed America’s sweetheart, and his debut record "American Teen" proves just that. This album was released during my senior year of high school and was the perfect way for me to come to terms with the end of that era. Khalid’s raspy vocals have taken the world by storm at this point, and these humble beginnings will always be something I will cherish.

3. "A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out" - Panic! At the Disco (2005)

Notable tracks: "Build God Then We'll Talk", "Lying is the Most Fun a Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off", "But It's Better If You Do"

Two words: Brendon Urie. I feel like that’s all I should include about this record, but I won’t. With brilliantly long titles and comments on sex, underappreciation, and society, "A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out" is one hell of a treat. It became one of the greatest emo albums of all time with the help of Fall Out Boy guitarist Pete Wentz, who is credited with discovering the band.

4. "Blue Neighbourhood" - Troye Sivan (2015)

Notable tracks: "TALK ME DOWN", "HEAVEN (feat. Betty Who)", "FOOLS"

I had always admired Troye Sivan as a YouTuber, but the moment I found out he released music (that was actually amazing) on his EP, "TRXYE," I instantly knew that I would support him throughout his musical journey. "Blue Neighbourhood" brought forth a narrative of falling in and out of love, finding your youth, and being your authentic self all throughout. Each song is laced with dreamy, breathy vocals over synths and explores themes of love, life, and sexual identity. I have to admit that from the first time I listened to this record, “HEAVEN” has been my favorite song. It never fails to bring the waterworks (seriously, just listen to it– you won’t regret it).

5. "Some Nights" - fun. (2012)

Notable tracks: "Stars", "All Alright", "Why Am I The One"

"Some Nights" will always hold such a dear and special place in my heart because I actually met fun. while they were touring to support this record in 2013 (p.s: they were the sweetest guys ever). Since then, the band has been on a hiatus and I’m just now accepting that they may never return (or hopefully they’ll surprise us like Fall Out Boy did in 2013). I was fourteen when this record was released, and I don’t know exactly how I fell in love with fun., but I don’t regret it one bit. Songs like “All Alright” and “It Gets Better” have served as anthems for me during my hardest times, and getting to meet the band did wonders for my pre-pubescent soul. Their music has the same effect on me at twenty.