12 Ways To Speak Up When You Cannot Physically Go To A Protest

You don't need a sign and a crowd to march in to be an activist.

18

This is just a weird year overall. We get hit with a pandemic, murder hornets, and we're facing brutality from the police on an unbelievable level. With the protests and rallies going on around the country fighting for black lives at the moment, there are many opportunities to get out and be vocal about our views on the situations. However, you don't need a sign and a crowd to march in to be an activist. Some of us have medical issues, full time jobs, and families to take care of that may prevent us from being able to go and protest. Especially with COVID-19 still an issue, more people are being put at risk. Believe me when I say I am ITCHING to go to a protest and speak up about what I feel is right. However, I have family members I could expose the virus to, so it isn't in my best interest to go out. There are many other ways that myself and everyone else can still be active and vocal without going to a rally. Look at this Carrd for links with more in-depth information for what I will list below.

Educate yourself!

kealani nunes willbanks protestTwitter

@MMartinelli4

The topic of Black Lives Matter is not a trend. These are actual people's lives. Stay updated and do your own research. Do your best to stay away from biased news sources. Personally, I find that Twitter does really well with keeping me updated on what is actually going on. Not to mention, I get to see realtime experiences from people all over the country. There is a lot on there that will never get released onto the news.

Sign all the petitions you come across.

hands up act petition

change.org

Petitions are used to bring attention to a problem or event. They are presented to elected officials and can be used to make changes happen.

Text to awareness.

#justicefourfloyd

changeofcolor.org

You can even text numbers to sign, as another form of petitioning! For example, as seen in the picture, text "FLOYD" to 55156 or you can text "JUSTICE" to 668366.

Get in contact with the District Attorney and Minneapolis Mayor.

minneapolis mayor contact

In doing this, you can demand justice. Mention the names and badge numbers of all four police officers present when George Floyd was murdered and demand they ALL be arrested.

Email Louisville's Police Department to demand justice for Breonna Taylor.

breonna taylor emt

Justice for Breonna

Breonna Taylor was a black woman who was shot in her own home, unprovoked, by police officers. No arrests have been made for her murder. Send an email from this link.

Donate to mutual aid funds.

mutual aid infographic

Becca Barad

There isn't anything saying you have to give your money to any causes, but there are some that are in need of funding. Also, if you are looking for places to donate, I urge you to avoid websites such as change.org. A lot of the money goes to the site rather than to the cause.

Donate by listening to this playlist!

views for a vision

YouTube

This playlist includes a ton of ads that video creators are donating their money to in support of Black Lives Matter.

Donate in memorium of victims.

george floyd memorial

Go Fund Me

Money is still needed to support the families of those victimized. You can donate and send your regards to the families through the many links in the Carrd I tagged in the beginning.

Use your platform to speak out.

odyssey online

Odyssey Online

Chances are, you are on social media. That means that you have a platform to use your voice. Whether it's Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or Odyssey Online, you are free to inform others and voice your opinions. Use it for the best.

Listen to the stories of others.

vogue jumaane williams

@voguemagazine

One of the biggest things we can do is listen to those who have always felt like their voices have been drowned out. While it does not seem proactive, think of the ways our own thinking will change if we just listened for once.

If you are not black, put their voices before your own.

jon boyega protest

@starwars

You know how I just said black voices are often drowned out? When it comes to times like this, it is often because others are trying just so hard to advocate for others that they become inconsiderate of those who are actually hurting. So let them speak at a volume of 100%.

Recognize your privilege.

abc news protest hand hold

@abcnews

This is a little more geared toward white people. Recognize that the struggles of others don't cancel yours out. It just means that, in the circumstances of the rights of black people, you will never struggle because of your skin color. Realizing this is the first step to becoming an ally. Use your privilege to the best of your ability, protecting those who are not as privileged.