12 Tips For Incoming College Freshmen

12 Tips For Incoming College Freshmen

It ain't all frat parties and football games.

15
12 Tips For Incoming College Freshmen

It's the summer after your senior year. You just graduated. If you're like me, your town is small and you feel like you know everyone and everything in it. You feel on top of the world, like you have your whole life in front of you. Yeah, soak all those feelings up while you can, because you won't be top of the totem pole for long.

Everything. Is. About. To. Change.

Don't get me wrong, college has been the best time of my life so far! But I'm not going to lie to you and say it has been easy. I just finished my freshman year at Texas A&M University and yes, the classes were extremely difficult, but on top of that it was hard being away from family, and it's definitely tough adjusting to living on your own. You may think you are independent now, but it's a whole other story when you are actually on your own.

1. Overstudy for your first round of tests.

You may think you are going overboard on the studying... but you probably aren't. You don't want to start off failing and then have to make high A's on your other tests to make up for it. Study more than you think you should have to study, and then after the first round of tests you'll have more of an idea of what your professors test on.

2. Before you register for classes, look up your options for professors.

You can look your professors up online. My personal favorite site is ratemyprofessor.com. Here, you can read reviews other students have left about the professor and the level of difficulty of the class. This is important, because your professor could mean the difference between getting an A or getting a C in the class.

3. Set up a good study space in your dorm/apartment.

It is important to have a place where you can focus and study for big tests. Libraries can become very crowded and if you live off-campus, can be inconvenient to access. Speaking from experience, your bed can be a dangerous place to study (you will wake up five hours later with paperclips in your hair and pen on your cheek).

4. Figure out what study habits work best for you.

Some people study best with music, some people need complete silence. Some people like using a variety of highlighters, while some people like to re-write notes and make review sheets. Try out different methods and stick to what works best for you.

5. Make friends in all of your classes.

You never know when you might have to miss class. Your friends will be able to send you the notes for the day or sign you in. It also helps to have people to study with. On top of that, you have got to put yourself out there! Your high school friends aren't two minutes down the road anymore. Branch out, college is where lifelong friends are built.

6. Make time for yourself!!!!!

This one has exclamation points for a reason!!! Get your nails done every once and a while, go workout, try yoga, read, paint, relax with your favorite Netflix series, make time for your hobbies. It is so easy to drown yourself in your studies, but make sure that you take the time to enjoy life- which brings me to my next point.

7. Go out and have fun.

Get dressed up with your friends on a Friday night and go out and have some fun! My personal favorite thing to do is go two-stepping. It is so much fun and is always a much-needed stress reliever after a long week!

8. Get involved in something on campus.

Whether it be a sorority or a fraternity, a club, or an intramural sports team, do something! It is an instant friend-maker, and these friends will all at least have one thing in common with you! More than likely, one of these new friends will be in your major or in one of your classes.

9. Choose your major wisely, and don't be afraid to change if it isn't your thing.

Before you choose your major, do some serious research on it. This is what you are doing for the rest of your life, after all. Take it seriously. If you end up hating your choice, don't be afraid to change! Most people change their major at least once. Do what is best for you and your future.

10. Know when to get help.

Don't think you're too smart for tutoring. Don't wait until you only have one test left to try and raise your grade. Get help as soon as you realize you're struggling. There are many places on campus to get free tutoring. Take advantage of it! There are also places not affiliated with the university where you can pay for private or group tutoring, which can be very helpful as they usually receive tests from specific professors and know what you need to know.

11. GET. SLEEP.

You will be much more productive if you are well-rested. You aren't going to benefit from staying up all night to study if you fall asleep during the test. Personally, I get sick if I get behind on sleep and being sick in college is miserable.

12. Use your time wisely.

I can't stress this enough! With all this newfound freedom comes new responsibility. No one is telling you to study or go to class, those are choices you have to make on your own! Do your homework on time, don't wait until the last minute to start big projects or papers. Plan out study time for tests so you don't find yourself studying for the first time the night before. With that being said, keeping an updated planner always helps me so much!

Good luck on your first year of college! Welcome to some of the best years of your life.