The 12 Days Of 'Stressmas' As Told By The Stressed Out College Student

The 12 days of Christmas are no longer.

63

You may have heard of the 12 days of Christmas, but today we're going to talk about the 12 stresses of "Stressmas".

What is "Stressmas" you may ask?

Stressmas is the time period beginning the day after Thanksgiving right up until Christmas. As the end of the semester comes to an end, Stressmas begins and amplifies college students' stress levels. This is the time when all last minute assignments and projects are due along with finding enough time to let yourself breath before you go insane.

If you're dealing with stress this Stressmas then take a moment to sit back, relax, grab your hot cocoa or pumpkin spice latte because at this point in the semester, you're going to need it.

1. Having to go back home

You'd think that most college students would love the idea of going back home for the holidays. However, I know quite a few college students who enjoy being away from home that much that they'd rather not go home at all. Going back home can cause you to stress about losing that sense of freedom you have while away at school. And did I mention how much packing you have to do to prepare for the long trip home?

2. Dealing with "that" family member

Going back home can be even worse when you have to deal with that one problematic family member. You know the one that I'm talking about. Every family has one. Although having to deal with them might make you regret coming back home, it's up to you to be the bigger person and put on a smile. Who doesn't love some family drama, am I right?

3. Buying gifts on a tight ass budget

If there is one thing college students are always stressing about, it's money. Since this time of year makes everyone broke, college students are going to stress even more about having to buy gifts for their families and friends. Making minimum wage isn't enough when you want to please everyone. Thank God, for dollar store holiday cards.

4. One word, six letters: finals

F is for Feeling 100% done. I is for I want to drop out. N is for no way am I going to pass this. A is for are we really still having finals? L is for Look, I just want to graduate. S is for Stop - just make it stop.

5. Grades

With the glory of finals, comes the glory of finding out your final grades after a stressful semester. As if we don't have a million other things to worry about this time year, why not add the anticipation of wondering what grades we got?

6. Not being able to buy EVERYONE a gift

As I said, ya girl and millions of other college students are on a strict budget. Because we make minimum wage or close to that, there's a sad reality that not everyone is going to make your Christmas list this year. But, that's okay! That's where your creativity comes into play. By making gifts from scratch, yes people will know how broke you are, but it's the thought that counts, right?

7. Realizing you're getting older

Christmastime as an adult is so depressingly different than Christmastime as a kid. Growing up, Christmas was the one holiday I'd be the most excited for. From putting up decorations to spending time with family, there wasn't anything I loved more. As I've gotten older, that Christmas "feeling" has changed so much to where Christmas doesn't even feel like Christmas anymore.

8. Not being in the holiday spirit

Because we are getting older, that might mean the holidays just aren't as exciting as they used to be. But, who's to say that we can't create a new meaning of excitement for Christmas as adults? Don't be a Grinch.

9. Going back to your old job back home.

Having to work around the holidays can be quite stressful. If you're going back to work over winter break, then you know how difficult it may be to manage time to see everyone you'd like to see. Christmas doesn't feel as special when you have to work.

10. Spending your holidays with your significant other's family for the first time.

Spending the holidays with your significant other is a big step in a relationship. Being brought into their family and their traditions makes your relationship seem that much more serious. If you're spending the holidays for the first time with your significant other and it's on your Stressmas list, it's going to be okay. Just be the amazing person you are and prove to them how great you are with your significant other. It's all about making a good first impression.

11. Getting everything done in time.

While having to study for finals, travel, shop, and spend time with your family, you feel as though you don't have any time for anything. Trying to get everything done in time can make you feel like you're about to have a mental breakdown, but taking it one step at a time can ease that stress.

12. Being away from your best friends at school.

If there is one thing I miss when I go back home for winter break, it's the time I get to spend with my friends back at school. These are the people you see almost everyday that have become like a family to you in a way. That's why God created FaceTime.

Even though Stressmas sucks, when it's all done and over with, all of that stress was worth it.