12 Reasons To Fall In Love With Chicago

12 Reasons To Fall In Love With Chicago

Get ready to be blown away by the windy city.

196
Michael Norris

With one of the highest murder rates in the country, Chicago has a less than admirable reputation. I guess this would be why everyone seemed super concerned when I told them I was going to Chicago. I wasn't scared to go to Chicago because I knew it couldn't be as bad as everyone here says. Of course, I was right. As soon as I stepped off the train and onto the street I was in awe. In a matter of three days, Chicago stole my heart. With a multitude of diverse districts and communities, there is something for everyone to do. Here a few of the things that made me fall in love with Chi-town.

1. The architecture

2. The skyline

3. The view from the Navy Pier

This picture doesn't do it justice, but I still love it. The view from the new Ferris Wheel is amazing. I had no idea how breathtakingly beautiful Lake Michigan is.

4. The diversity

Coming from a very small town in the foothills of North Carolina has given me a greater appreciation of diversity. I thought this mural by Olivia Gude was perfect to show some of the diversity of the windy city. Gude interviewed individuals are they walked past the mural site and their answers inspired the theme and message of this mural.

5. The loop

There is so much to do in the loop that it is almost overwhelming. You can do a river cruise, shop, go to the top of the Skydeck for an amazing view, check out Millennium Park and then grab some yummy Chicago pizza.

6. Old Town/Lincoln Park

We stayed in Old Town and it was perfect. With a number of restaurants and bars, we never found ourselves bored. It wasn't too busy and crowded like the loop and I think that is what makes Old Town so great. It's also home to some comedy clubs where many famous comedians got their start.

7. Welcoming vibes

I'm not going to lie I was a little nervous that the people would not be as friendly as what I'm used to but I was pleasantly surprised to find that, unless you're Donald Trump, the windy city is more than ready to greet you with open arms.

8. The cleanliness

This also surprised me because I just assumed since it's a huge city that it wouldn't be as clean as what I'm used to but I was wrong. The

9. Brown bag Seafood co.

I would seriously go back just for this food. It was so good and I felt so healthy after eating it.

10. Lagunitas Brewery

Lagunitas Lil' Sumpin Sumpin' is my favorite beer so of course I was excited to find out that they have a brewery in Chicago. While the taxi ride there was $21.00 it was totally worth it to be able to see how my favorite beer is made. The brewery has some dope artwork.

11.The street art

Chicago is full of diverse and beautiful street art.

12. The photo ops

The opportunities for great Instagram photos are endless.