12 Reasons To Study Abroad

12 Reasons To Study Abroad

Let the adventures being!

12
12 Reasons To Study Abroad
Caitlin Maressa

If I sat here and wrote out all the reasons you should study abroad, I'd be writing you a book. It sounds clichè but studying abroad really does help you grow as a person and quite frankly, it does change your life. You will have some of the greatest experiences of your life and you'll create memories to treasure forever. If you've already studied abroad, this article will bring you nostalgia. If you're currently studying abroad, my reasons for studying abroad will probably resonate with you. Lastly, if you're thinking about studying abroad, don't think any longer...read this and then Apply ASAP! Here are 12 reasons why studying abroad is absolutely the move.

1. You will get to indulge yourself in a completely different culture and learn to expand your horizons.

Learning about other cultures is not only fascinating but it can be really fun if you're not afraid to put yourself out there. Don't be scared to try new things, make friends with the locals and to use their language.

2. You will come across the most interesting people you've ever met and make great relationships with all kinds of new people. You'll make awesome new friends and create lasting friendships with people you never thought you would.

Randomly during my photography class I met this boy whose name is Christian Walker, which is kind of ironic after you hear his story. He's a Christian who was challenged by his bishop to do a pilgrimage to Israel, as if he were back in the golden days. He can't use modern transportation, has no cell phone and only takes what people offer him. He's traveling the world with only a few dollars in his pocket and barely knows where his next meal will be coming from. That paper he's holding is his passport with all those stamps! He had such a bubbly and lovable personality. His story was truly inspiring.

3. You learn to become a completely independent person. Nothing wrong with some adventures and lunch dates with me, myself and I!

You start to learn it's truly okay to go out to eat by yourself or go out to explore on your own. It gives you time to think and learn more about yourself. It sounds silly but being abroad you start to really appreciate your alone time.

4. You'll find it becomes addicting to travel to places you've never been before and become a little world traveler.

New weekend, new city. I spent most of my weekends traveling and loved every trip I went on! Life gets even more beautiful seeing what other countries have to offer and learning the ways of their culture. Even if you want to spend most of your time staying in the country you're studying in, that's fine too! You'll have plenty of amazing adventures.

5. You'll never be happier to get lost (within reason) in your life.

Getting lost means finding some of the coolest places! I mean don't get me wrong, bless up that we have GPS, especially for a girl like me who takes one wrong turn and ends up on the outskirts of the city. But honestly, getting lost can be a really amazing thing. I've found some of my favorite places and views by strolling around taking random turns.

6. You'll have life changing experiences.

Recently I had the chance to visit one of the most famous concentration camps in Germany. I went to the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site and it really made me stop to think about life. It's something that you've learned about almost every year in your history classes, but being there just made it hit even harder. Stepping into the gas chambers and crematoriums, knowing the suffering that took place there made me almost feel guilty to be touring it. It was really heavy stuff but it was a reminder to count my blessings.

7. You'll start to get adventurous with your food choices and it will totally be worth it.

Photographed here: A Radler (mix of beer and lemonade), mac and cheese, a little meatloaf, a weird ball of cheese to dip those delicious pretzels in. My friend and I really wanted to experience it all. Germany definitely didn't disappoint. My mouth is still watering looking at this picture.

8. Your Instagram is going to start to resemble something out of a travel magazine.

Get ready for your "Insta" game to get real strong. The photo shoots here are endless and there's no shame in maxing out your camera roll. You'll probably take some of the most beautiful pictures you've ever taken in your life. Your feed will start to look better than the travel channel. Your likes are going to raise the roof and you'll start to feel like somewhat of a celeb. All your friends and family will be so jealous!

9. Your semester is basically one big spring break with some work on the side. (Even though your parents will continuously remind you, that you're there to study). LOL...jokes.

This has seriously been the best semester of my life. This is the semester to act like your Beyonce and do it big. Even if you're balling on a budget, now is the time to push it to the limits. Europe seriously knows how to do nightlife. You'll go to the best clubs you've ever been to and have the greatest drinks you've ever tasted. This is actually where the saying "Until the break of dawn!" comes from, because the bars and clubs stay open until absurd hours. Get ready for some of the greatest nights of your life.

10. You'll fall madly in love with the city you're studying in more and more each day.

I don't think I'll ever get over the beauty of Florence. No matter how many times I pass some of the same monuments each day, I always find something new to love about them. This city is simply breath-taking.

11. There is no such thing as having a daily routine abroad. Each new day will bring new spontaneous adventures!

Whether it's trying a new beer or letting an Italian who speaks no english dye your hair.. each day is certainly an exciting opportunity to do something spontaneous!

12. Because it'll actually be the best couple months of your life. Seriously don't pass up this opportunity.

Honestly, it is going to be so hard for me to leave. I'd be perfectly happy staying and moving my life here. These have been the best couple months of my life and I've experienced things I never thought I'd ever see in my lifetime. I'm truly blessed to have had the opportunity to study abroad. I will never forget the wonderful adventures I've had and I can't wait to continue traveling the world.