12 Easy Ways To Make Your Lifestyle More Sustainable

A Letter From Your Local Treehugger

181
TYLER MASON

Being in college, I understand the struggle of trying to be eco-friendly in-between all the chaos of life. BUT, nobody is asking you to ditch your car and walk everywhere for the rest of your days. So, here are some simple and easy things I do to practice and promote sustainability without the hassle.

1. Invest In Bamboo Or Metal Straws

Reusable straws are great because they reduce waste and are super easy to bring with when you're on the go. You never know when you'll get an iced coffee craving. They are eco-friendly, cheap, and a simple purchase to make your daily life more sustainable.

2. Bring Reusable Bags Everywhere

This could be anything from your old Lululemon bags to a giant beach bag! Multi-use bags come in handy for literally anything and everything. I personally always have a few handy in my car for groceries, gym clothes, and everything in-between. You'll be reducing waste and running errands in style!

For My Ladies... Eco-Friendly Cotton Makeup Pads

Make-up wipes are one of the most common single-use products for women. They're a large contribution to our earth's pollution and waste. Even something as simple as switching to washable make-up pads can make a big difference. PLUS...it's better for your skin, too!

4. Avoid Hygiene & Skin-Care Products With Zinc

Zinc is a common ingredient found in a lot of popular sunscreen and deodorant formulas that we all love. But, it is also an environmental threat to aquatic and marine life. Non-zinc sunscreens are easily accessible and not much more expensive (this too is also better for your skin)!

5. Carpool Or Walk

Carpooling, public transportation, biking or walking is not only a great way to reduce Carbon Dioxide emissions but also to catch up with friends, read a book, or just enjoy the view.

6. Ditch Plastic For A Reusable Water Bottle

Investing in a new water bottle is a cheap, simple way to make your lifestyle more sustainable...plus perks! You can reuse it for your morning coffee runs (Starbucks gives a discount when you bring a reusable cup!), and it will encourage you to drink more water throughout your day.

7. Explore A Local Farmer's Market For Groceries

Farmer's markets are a great way to practice sustainability while also supporting your local community. Most of the time the market price is either the same or even cheaper than your local grocery store; plus, there is always a ton of variety!

8. Repurpose Glass Jars

Reuse! Reuse! Reuse! Mason Jars can be used for anything from organizing school supplies to storing salad dressing, AND, bonus, they're super inexpensive and easily accessible.

9. Make Your Own Body & Facial Scrubs

There are a TON of simple beauty and skin care recipes online that work wonders! Throw in your favorite essential oil scent and let the eco-friendly self-care begin!

10. Change Your Search Engine To Ecosia

Ecosia is basically Mother Nature's Google. Ecosia is a search engine based in Germany that donates a minimum of 80% of their profits to reforestation, all you have to do is make the switch!

11. Avoid Using Lights During The Day

It is as simple as it sounds and your selfies will thank you. Embrace that natural lighting!

12. Go On An Outdoor Adventure

Whether it's for a hike or a beach day, it is so important to take a step-back and appreciate the place we are trying to help save. Get outdoors and remind yourself why we love the earth!