10 Of The Best Throwbacks From The DCOM Marathon

Classic DCOM's for the 90's kids.

6
Just Jared

If you have not been living under a rock for the last several months, then you know that Disney Channel had a Memorial Day weekend movie marathon. The marathon included some of my favorite Disney classics and had myself, and the rest of the world, staying up all night in hopes of catching the best on the list. While the marathon is over, Disney is playing some of those throwbacks every night from now, until June 24th, in honor of the premiere of their 100th DCOM, "Adventures in Babysitting." If you missed out on the marathon, here are some of the best throwbacks from Memorial Day weekend, until the end of this event:

1. Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live in space? Just ask Zenon Kar! She has spent most of her thirteen years living on a space station with her family, but after a bit of mischief, Zenon is sentenced to Earth to live with her aunt. Upon arrival, she discovers that something isn't quite right and makes it her mission to fix it. Kirsten Storms and That's So Raven star, Raven-Symone, lead the crusade to save their beloved "space stay," in a somewhat hilarious manner. If you grew up in the late 90's, this is one you will not want to miss!

2. Smart House

What do you get when you mix a computerized Smart House and a 13-year-old boy? A disaster of course! Upon winning a Smart House competition, Ben Cooper played by Ryan Merriman, is living the life of luxury. No cleaning, no cooking, no chores at all is enough to satisfy any teenager. Or is it? When Ryan decides he wants more, things turn chaotic. Watch as Katey Sagal takes on the role of a house gone crazy, in this throwback hit.

3. Halloweentown

Have you have ever wondered if all of the old folktales about witches, and monsters, and vampires were true? In Halloweentown, they are! The Cromwell family has been split between two worlds for years until 13-year-old Marnie discovers that she is a witch. Soon after, Marnie follows her grandmother back to Halloweentown. While she is there, Marnie and her siblings must gather the ingredients to activate Marlin's Talisman and stop the evil Kalabar from continuing to cause chaos in Halloweentown.

4. Cadet Kelly

Military school?! AS IF! Free spirit, Kelly Collins, is forced to move from New York City to upstate New York when her mother marries the new commandant of George Washington Military Academy. Kelly finds herself in a structured, strict school and she does not take it well. Hillary Duff takes on the role of the spunky, rebellious teenager, who must save her father and the drill team. Cadet Kelly is one of my all time favorite DCOM's and proves that even the rebel can be a hero.

5. The Color of Friendship (Tuesday, June 14: Midnight)

Loosely based on a true story, The Color of Friendship tells the emotional tale of Mahree Bok, a white, South Africa exchange student, and Piper Dellum, the daughter of a black congressman. When Mahree arrives in Washington, no one in the Dellum family expects her to be white, The situation is uncomfortable for everyone involved in the beginning, but eventually, the family opens its arms to Mahree. At a time when there is so much racism in America, The Color of Friendships brings a heartwarming story and a light at the end of an intolerant tunnel.

6. The Luck of the Irish (Tuesday, June 21: Midnight)

What would a teenage boy do if his mother shrank, he began turning into a leprechaun, and his family lost all of their luck? Kyle Johnson, played by Ryan Merriman, must battle the evil river dancing leprechaun who stole his lucky charm. The Luck of the Irish is a perfect example of how anyone can get down on their luck, even the Irish.

7. High School Musical

When a winter fling between a star basketball player, and a shy high school scientist, turns into a blooming romance, the school gets turned upside down. The couple auditions for the high school musical and their only competition is mean girl Sharpay Evans, and her brother Ryan, played by Ashley Tisdale, and Lucas Grabeel. Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens, who play Troy and Gabriella, struggle with typical high school issues, and don't stick to the status quo.

8. Gotta Kick It Up (Thursday, June 23: Midnight)

A Hispanic middle school dance team with a bad attitude and an abundance of talent get a reality check when a new dance coach takes over. They must prove that they are competition ready to their coach, the school, and most importantly, themselves. "Si se puede," or "yes I can," becomes their new motto and gives them the confidence to compete like never before.

9. Twitches

What is better than being a witch? Being a twin witch! After being separated at birth, Alex and Camryn reunite, discover their powers, and use them to save their kingdom, and biological mother from Darkness. Twitches is full of twists and turns, comedy and drama, and a ton of magic. Can the girls save their mother? You'll have to watch to find out.

10. The Cheetah Girls

Raven-Symone, Sabrina Bryan, Keily Williams, and Adrienne Bailon, star as teenage girl group The Cheetah Girls in this classic DCOM hit. While struggling with typical teenage angst, the girls must find a balance between friendship and fame before they fall apart. This movie spawned two sequels, three soundtracks, a tour, and even a video game.

If you missed the DCOM marathon, don't worry, most of these movies can be found on Netflix, and the showings continue all through the month of June!