11 Ways To Become An "Islander" On Martha's Vineyard

It's more than just having a house there.

217
cloudfront.net

So you've been going to Martha's Vineyard since before you could remember. Your first steps were on South Beach. Your first lobster was at the Sea Shanty. You can't even count the number of ice cream cones you've devoured from Mad Martha's. Still, you're not considered an "islander" because you don't live year-round on your favorite destination (unfortunately). Here are some fool-proof ways you can come off as a true islander (even if you're secretly a New Yorker).

1. Call it "the Vineyard."

Or "the Vin-yahd." But don't believe any part of the Freeform show was accurate.

2. Know every line and location of Jaws.

"Oh, there's downtown Edgartown...and there's the Chappy Ferry..."

3. Spend your nights at Backdoor Donuts.

Only after 7pm, in a darkened parking lot at the backdoor of a bakery, can you receive these buttery, decadent, glazed apple fritters and freshly made donuts.

4. Have a favorite beach and have a very strong opinion about it.

South. Beach. Is. The. Best.

5. Spend your childhood (or adulthood) at the Flying Horses Carousel in Oak Bluffs.

Famous for being the oldest working carousel in America, it was established in the 1880s and is as magical for me in my 20s as it was in my 10s.

6. Know where to see the llamas.

Ernie Boch, Jr. will let you look at the llamas in his front yard, but don't climb in and pet them.

7. Attend Lobster Night at the Ocean View...every week.

You won't find a better, bigger lobster dinner anywhere in New England.

8. Acknowledge that JB Blau is an MV Legend.

Sharky's Cantina, MV Chowder Company, and the Copper Wok are little delicious treasures on the Vineyard. Thank you JB.

9. Have your wardrobe consist only of Lilly Pulitzer and Vineyard Vines.

10. Have a favorite clam chowder and have a strong opinion about it.

For me, it's hands-down the chowder from the Newes from America.

11. Be born on the Vineyard.

Some believe this is the only way to be a true Islander...but I think true love of the island can be enough!