11 Signs You Have A Medical Professional As A Parent

Why do I need to go to the ER? I'll just ask my mom to look at it.

19
Images

It doesn't matter if medical jargon confuses you or if blood makes you squeamish, you had to get used to it if you had a parent in the medical field. Properly diagnosing common ailments like rhinovirus and conjunctivitis were second nature by age 10 for most kids who had medical professional parents. There were certain things you knew you couldn't get away with, like faking being sick. Other times, you found yourself saying things that wouldn't make sense to other parents. And today, your friends always look to you to tell them the best course of treatments for their headaches and stomachaches.

1. You NEVER went to the emergency room, urgent care, or the doctor's unless your arm was missing.

Gaping whole gushing blood on your leg? Nothing a bandaid and Neosporin can't fix.

2. "You're fine!" "Put some ice on it!" "Take some ibuprofen!"

You rarely tried taking an injury for assessment to your parent because you knew you would get one of these answers.

3. Your friends ask to have your parent look at their possibly infected cut.

"Do you think your mom can tell me what this is?"

"What would your dad say to do for this headache?"

4. Straight shooting at the doctor's office was normal routine.

It was kind of the doctor and your parent just having a conversation you never understood and then your parent would explain later.

5. No. Chips. In. Your. School. Lunch.

Unhealthy snacks in your lunch were for the day after Halloween ONLY.

6. Knowing exactly which pain reliever to aid in any ailment.

Acetaminophen? Ibuprofen? No problem.

7. Having enough confidence in your medical skills to keep up with "Grey's Anatomy."

"GIVE ME 2 CCs OF EPI, STAT" "You know we're just going to put a bandaid on it, right?"

8. Faking sick? What is that?

Don't even try faking sick, unless you're prepared with a full list of believable symptoms.

9. "Can you look at this? Is it bad?"

You had no shame in making your parent look at every cut and bruise you had to make sure it looked "normal."

10. Your friends ask you what to do for minor ailments because you almost always know.

"Should I take this for my headache?" "What do you think it means if this cut looks like this?" Pssshh. Who needs med school?

11. You always knew you had your parent to go to first before assuming you were dying.

No need to rely on "Web MD." Just ask mom what a lingering strange pain in your ankle is.