11 Contemporary Poets To Celebrate With For National Poetry Month

It’s not just old men talking about nature or how America is amazing.

330
Courtney Pollock

Through years of school, I have found that there is a prejudice against poems and poets alike. They are seen as boring and too symbolic to ever read for leisure. The stereotype is that it's written by older men who talk about blades of grass, or two paths on a trail. It's seen as an older writing form. While there are some poets that are older that I do love to read, I find myself so drawn the contemporary poetry. There are many talented poets that write about topics such as women empowerment, mental health, or politics. I believe it's more difficult to find poets and poems that you don't like nowadays than it is to feel so invested and drawn to this person who so eloquently puts your indescribable emotions into words.

As a poet myself, I am observing this month by writing one poem a day. It doesn't have to be good it just has to be original and something I like. It's through the daily inspiration of the poets on my bookshelf, on my social media feed, and those touring, I keep writing and pushing myself to always dig deeper. So, in no particular order, I give you the poets who I hold near and dear to my heart.

1. Shel Silverstein

A children's author that writes poems that resonate just as strongly with adults. They hold lessons of self-love and owning what makes you a unique individual. His poetry books are also full of his own illustrations that give the poems another level. Silverstein's poetry collections are lighthearted and full of simple poems that don't always have simple feelings. His poems will make you want to crack open the book again and again. These books are absolutely timeless and can be given and read by those of any age. Funny enough, I wasn't actually introduced to his poems until my first year of college.

Favorite book: "A Light in the Attic"

Favorite poem: "Clooney the Clown"

2. R.H. Sin

Starting off on Instagram Sin, his real name being Reuben Holmes, was a clear feminist writer and supporter. He has a collection of 15 books and is still writing. As his fan base grows larger he hopes to grow more as a person and a creator. Holmes provides a majority of short pieces to his readers that have profound feelings and meanings behind them. I like that I can pick up his book, turn to any page, and feel something. There is no doubt that a piece of hi heart goes into every piece written. I first found him the summer of '17. The bookstore I went to didn't have the first book of "Whiskey, Words, and a Shovel," so I started with the second.

Favorite book: "Whiskey, Words, and a Shovel II"

Favorite poem: "Read Closely"

3. Lang Leav

Born in Thailand, Leav has become an international sensation with her poems. She also released her first fiction book last year, which immediately became my favorite. Her poems make you feel every inch of your heart. They talk about beautiful love, missed connections, and how she feels. Her drawings of girls are also hauntingly beautiful and, no doubt, will become a tattoo of mine one day. I was reading "The Universe of Us" on a ferry trip and couldn't help, but tear up. I discovered her through Pinterest. I found a lot of single poems that were short and struck a chord with me. I've put quite a few of her words on my walls.

Favorite book: "Sad Girls"

Favorite poem: "Time"

4. Michael Faudet

He's not afraid of sexual images and honestly through the body and its actions. Faudet's books will make you blush and feel like you shouldn't be reading this in public. He has a way with words that expresses not only love through sexual acts, but also passion, lust, and pain. I got my first book by him as a gift from a friend. I then read it for a paper my junior year of college. I was a little embarrassed to turn in a paper that could be seen as inappropriate, but I got an A so I guess it worked out.

Favorite book: "Dirty Pretty Things"

Favorite poem: "Undress Me"

5. Amanda Lovelace

Honestly, she is my favorite right now. Her first book, "The Princess Saves Herself in This One," is incredibly empowering to women to always be more and treat yourself better despite what you've been through. She opens up about her experiences growing up with a mother who was less than supportive, having relationships with boys who would use and abuse her, and how you should crown yourself the queen and write. Her second book just came out, "The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One," and she already working on a third for her women empowerment series. She also has a book coming out in October that you should mark on your calendar. I bought her book last summer after seeing it on shelf labeled popular at my local bookstore. I actually put her book on my graduation cap too.

Favorite book: "The Princess Saves Herself in This One"

Favorite poem: "how's that for happily ever after?"

6. Ernest Hemingway

He's not contemporary like the rest of the poets I'm writing about, but hear me out. When I read his poems I feel that they were written just for me. His poems were either very ahead of their time, or people have felt the way that I feel for decades and perhaps centuries. He can be classified as a war poet with his involvement in both World Wars, leaving with scars and poems to prove it. With works that flow right off the page into your heart it's hard to not fall in love with him. I learned about him my junior year of college and became an avid reader of his poetry. I often find it on Pinterest.

Favorite book: "Old Man at the Bridge"

Favorite poem: "From the second you're in this world, / They tell you what is "fair""

7. Cyrus Parker

In His wife Amanda's book she writes about the love these two have even though they do not have the conventional love story. Parker continues with this love story in his debut book "Dropkick Romance." His poems are beautiful images and feelings that have come from his marriage. It's a book that makes you feel more love for your significant other, or feel love for any passing person in your life. You appreciate true feelings and it's really breath taking to read. I found him through reading his wife's book.

Favorite book: "Dropkick Romance"

Favorite poem: "Should've said"

8. Rupi kaur

Although she has become a controversy in the poetry community, I believe that her poems, her voice, and the experiences she shares with her readers is stunning. "Milk and Honey" focuses on sexual assault and growing as a person I feel very close to the author. The poems are simple and honest. Her book is something that is bravely written without a care for what other have to say, but comforting for those who have lived this part of life and survived. With simple illustrations throughout that add to the words on the page, it's hard not to feel lifted by her work. I came to Kaur after reading about her books online and decided I needed to give her a try for myself.

Favorite book: "Milk and Honey"

Favorite poem: "the woman who comes after me will be a bootleg version of who I am"

9. Kara Petrovic

In her book debut book, "Beyond Rock Bottom," Petrovic writes about her mental afflictions of PTSD, bipolar disorder, and borderline personality. The poems are raw and show true emotion from the experiences of mental illness and the tolls it takes on both yourself and those around you. This book is not for the lighthearted. Although it is inspirational to see how she grows and finds her way through her own head, it can take a toll to those also suffering. I urge you to read it and power through what makes you uncomfortable because this book is beautiful, helpful, and honest. This book I found on Amazon while searching for new poets and cheaper books.

Favorite book: "Beyond Rock Bottom"

Favorite poem: "Little Realities"

10. Courtney Peppernell

Her first book "Pillow Thoughts" is broken into sections of what you and your heart may need at the time. Starting with if you are dreaming of someone and moving to if you are sad, and if you are soul searching. This book has something for everyone at any time in their life. In the cover a mixture of short poems that hit home and prose poems that inspire revelations and tell you what you need to hear. It's hard not to love the way she writes with the way her words flow so honestly. With more books on the way, Peppernell is one to keep an eye on. This book was also a gift from a friend. I should really write them a thank you note.

Favorite book: "Pillow Thoughts"

Favorite poem: "I think about people sometimes / Like how they have their coffee"

11. Button poetry

An organization dedicated to the production, distribution, promotion and fundraising for spoken word and performance poetry. They are constantly wanting to showcase the power of different voices and the diversity in communities. I urge you to look at Button Poetry's youtube channel as well as watch their release dates for books. There is a never-ending stream of beautiful content by a variety of authors. With so many poets that are showcased, I wanted to highlight someone my favorite along with my favorite poem of theirs. In no particular order, these are just some of my favorite Button Poetry poets that have captivated me with, not only their words, their performances,

Olivia Gatewood – "Manic Pixie Dream Girl Says" and "Ode to the Women of Long Island"

Sabrina Beniam – "Explaining My Depression to my Mother "a Conversation"" and "the loneliest sweet potato"

Neil Hilborn – "OCD" and "Joey"

Rudy Francisco – "Waves" and "Yes"

Donte Collins – "Thirteen Ways of Looking at Thirteen" and "Grief: The Inconvenient Translator"

Patrick Roche – "Every 40 Seconds" and "The Perfect Panic Attack"

Blythe Baird – "When the Fat Girl Gets Skinny" and "Relapse"

Jared Singer – "Just Take a Shower" and "Silence"

I hope this list has given you at least some flicker of interest to read what these people have experienced. I hope you give poetry a try now that you know more. Now that you know it's not just old men talking about nature or how America is amazing. I hope you find inspiration to write your own tales because of these people.