11 Thoughts You Have During Summer Classes

This is only kind of a rant.

12
Stanford

Let's be real. College is not a walk in the park, and figuring out what you want to do with your life is a big deal. So changing your mind about your major is totally cool, but if you're anything like me, you would've already changed your major 4 times...by the end of freshman year!

Ok that sounds crazy, but these things happen. That's why some of us have to take summer classes to stay caught up (or just to be super cool and ahead on life and graduate early). This is only my first summer with classes, and I'm only taking two...at separate times...online. Ok, easy, piece of cake, but I know of some frustrations that every summer class student must come across:

1. Is it me or do we have way more work than normal?

This question constantly trips me up. Is it just that it's summer and I'm lazy or is it that the professors are taking advantage of us not having as many classes as the spring and fall?

2. Remember how you only had class 2-3 times a week? Try 7 days a week.

I'm in an online class, and it's an everyday commitment. Get ahead you say? Well, an assignment may get cancelled the day it's due (this happened to me today... after I had already submitted it) or another may randomly pop up. Be flexible.

3. All of your friends are enjoying summer but you're still in the books.

There's summer jobs, work, and vacation, but I promise all this extra work will be worth it (or at least that's what I keep telling myself).

4. Is this something I could do again?

This one is so important. I am already behind, and I want to finish early, so I have to make sure I ask myself if this is doable. If you only need to catch up a little, this isn't a problem, but if you're anything like me, you should ask yourself if it's worth it to do mediocre in these classes or to just go an extra semester...this might actually matter in a few years.

5. What about vacation?

This one is a huge problem for me, but you can make it work. Since my classes are online, I need wifi to submit anything. I'm doing a lot of international traveling this summer, which means wifi isn't always going to be there. What does that mean? Work ahead! This only backfires whenever something is confusing or the syllabus changes. You finish early, and you are ahead of the game...even if there are a few changes along the way.

6. Are these quizzes really dumb or is that just me?

In the fall and spring, every time I thought I crushed an exam, I did terrible and vice versa. But these quizzes seem like cake, so what's the dealio?

7. 6 chapters, 1 exam? No biggie.

This happened to me in the fall. We had an exam over 300 pages within two weeks of class starting. Needless to say, I dropped the class because I'm now more of an English person. But in my friend's summer class, this is for real. So no biggie, prof., it's not like I truly wanna take this class.

8. Just a few more weeks.

Let's face it, while there are downs to having to take a summer class, we all definitely need it...otherwise, why are we taking it? So how about we take advantage of only have 6 credit hours rather than 18? Just a few more weeks, and you'll be happy you did it.

9. Videos? Seriously?

I'm in a foreign language class, so obviously speaking it is important. So I record my videos, but some days it takes an hour to upload...no procrastinating anymore.

10. Summer break? What's that?

Ok, yes, most of us only take a fraction of summer courses compared to the fall and spring semesters, but where did summer go? Oh, you have a week off before classes. ENJOY IT! This one is probably for the best though because eventually, summer breaks will be no more because we'll be working year round.

11. Did you drink a cup of boring this morning?

Listen, professors, we understand that you probably don't want to be here as much as we do (or maybe you do), but most of us wish we could avoid taking these classes. Why not put a little pep in your step?