11 Facts About The Great Lake Of Michigan

We are so lucky to live near this beautiful body of water!

291
Lake Michigan Coastal Program

Lake Michigan is a beautiful natural body of water. So let's appreciate it!

1. It is the only Great Lake that is contained completely in the United States. #'merica.

2. It is the 6th largest freshwater lake in the world by surface area.

3. The average depth of Lake Michigan is 279 feet.

4. Lake Michigan is able to discharge into Lake Huron through the Straits of Mackinaw.

This allows for a complete water change every 100 years!

5. The lake reaches the Atlantic Ocean!

It travels through the St. Lawrence seaway, the Chicago river, and the Mississippi river to the gulf.

6. Lake Michigan was formed during the last Ice Age from glaciers

7. The earliest human habitants of Lake Michigan was the Hopewell Tribe.

When French explorers found Lake Michigan in the 1600's, they named it Lake of the Stinking Water

8. The word Michigan is believed to come from the Ojibwa tribe word 'Mishigami" which means great water.

9. There was a "pirate problem" on Lake Michigan in the mid 19th century that resulted in many shipwrecks.

10. There is an area in Lake Michigan...

Similar to the Bermuda Triangle, strange things happen such as disappearances and UFO siteings.

11. It is possible for a shark to enter the waters of Lake Michigan.

This would be extremely rare as the shark would need to swim very far, only when it is warm enough, and penetrate the water lock system. There was one reported case of a shark attack on Lake Michigan in 1955.