I was at work the other day, and naturally someone said #2. It was then that the lightbulb for this post went off. There are so many frustrating phrases and questions baristas hear on a daily basis. My fellow baristas will know this pain all too well. And if you're one of these horrid customers, now you know it's time to change your ways.
1. "Can I get another pump?" OR "Can I get an extra shot?" (after they’ve already paid)
You know you have to pay extra. Don't try and tell me you don't know that.
2. "Oh, hold on! I know I've got 43 cents. I really gotta get rid of all this change!”
I can't even handle this one anymore.
4. “Is mocha the same thing as chocolate?”
5. “Do you have stevia packets?”
I don't know why this is asked so often. But no, we don't have any.
6. “Can I just get a cup of water?”
You don't see the huge pitcher next to plastic cups on the condiment counter? You waited in a long line just for that?
7. “Can I get coconut/soy/almond milk instead?” (after they’ve already paid)
Actually most baristas will ending up just doing it because we don't have the stamina and energy to say no. We're dead inside, but that doesn't mean you should take advantage.
8. If you ever mishear someone’s name and write it wrong, they always feel the need to grab the cup, demand what you wrote, and roast you.
Okay, Attyson... spell your name normally, and we'll talk.
9. Barista: Do you want room for cream and sugar in your coffee?
Customer: No, I just want cream.
10. This isn’t a thing customers say, but the single most annoying thing any customer can do is stare at a barista while they’re making your drink.
You don’t need to lean over and get in our view. Our workspace is not where your head should be!
11. “Is that non-fat milk?” (as your steaming the milk for their drink)
There is definitely such a thing as backseat drink-making.