10 Ways to Improve Your GPA

10 Ways to Improve Your GPA

without making any deals with the devil.

28
10 Ways to Improve Your GPA
gifsec

The final crawl of the semester is approaching. It's the suffocating, paper-bag feeling. We just want it to be over. We have a presentation to practice, three papers to write, and four tests to study for... all in a span of three days. And just when you think you're getting a handle on it, another professor assigns another group project... Great. Now you have to figure out how to get in touch with them somehow and get that over and done.

The worst? Checking your grades and finding they're not quite up to what you expected of yourself. Here are ten tips to improve your GPA during this difficult time.

1. Utilize tutors. Sometimes you just need to hear the material from someone other than your professor to finally get that click in your head. Since they're students too, most of the time they're really flexible and understanding with schedules too.

2. Put your phone away while studying. Shut it off. One quick scroll through twitter or Instagram will suck you into a black hole. Just shut it off, and use it as a reward when you finish a certain amount of work.

3. Chew gum while taking tests. It increases blood flow to your brain. Really. It lowers cortisol levels by 18%, and will probably help you relax while trying to focus on a test.

4. Ask your professor to slow down if you need it. Raise your hand! You pay to go to school. You are entitled to your education. Chances are if you're feeling it, other people in the room are too. And if not, stay after class. You can set up a meeting. Don't be embarrassed to ask for the education you pay for.

5. Big test next week? 10 page paper due on Friday? Take it piece by piece. Don't cram. Write in two to three page intervals, and study chapter by chapter. It's much more managable if you break it down, and chances are you're going to get a better paper and retain more information.

6. Buy a planner. Write down everything. Carry it everwhere. You may think you will remember everything you need to know...but you won't. You've got too much on your plate. Spare pieces of paper and your hand isn't working anymore.

7. Be neat in your notes. I know you're exhausted and you've got one eye on the clock, waiting for class to be over... but be neat. Your notes matter. What your professor says in class is most likely going to be what's on the test.

8. Get to know the library. Or any quiet environment. A studious feeling will help your body know it's time to buckle down and get to work. It's hard to focus with people yelling in the background or the television blasting.

9. Keep yourself hydrated and remind yourself to eat. Satisfy all your basic needs so you can focus. What are you doing going to class with that growling stomach? Do you think you're going to be able to focus on anything else besides how much you can't wait to stuff your face once you get out?

10. Remember that you can re-take a class. You can't re-take life. This isn't the end of the world, no matter what happens. Always take care of yourself first.