10 Ways To Help Standing Rock Remotely

10 Ways To Help Standing Rock Remotely

How to actively assist in stopping the construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline.

5
10 Ways To Help Standing Rock Remotely
NPR

My family and I had planned to spend Thanksgiving break at Standing Rock, as we collectively decided that we refuse to sit idly as we are privy to what should be considered a human and environmental rights atrocity. We also recognize that Thanksgiving is a backwards holiday (just think about it), and that if we were to spend our time helping a cause close to the native people of this country, that would be the best suited way to spend it. Plans changed, and in our limited time we were no longer able to go. I was, truthfully, pretty upset. I felt like a big phony, and that I had no outlet for what I wanted to accomplish as an ally to the cause. Even though less important obligations had to take precedence to our actual presence, we began to concretely devise ways to help remotely. If you are in the same situation, I would invite you to explore these home-based methods in assisting the halt of the pipeline construction.

Puyallup tribal member Nancy Shippentower addresses demonstrators before a march in Tacoma, Washington State.

1. Protest on your home turf.

Protests for this cause have erupted all over the US, including Seattle, Tacoma, and even our very own Bellingham, where around 250 people marched in solidarity with Standing Rock on October 28th.Though it may not be directly in the action, the widespread support is paramount to the cause.

2. Donate supplies.

Many water protectors have been at Sacred Stone camp for months, and supplies like sanitary necessities, warm clothing, and firewood are in high demand. Above link lists the supplies needed and how to send them.

3. Sign the petitions.

Change.org petition.

Credo Action petition.

MoveOn.org petition.

Act.350.org petition.

Earthjustice.org petition.

To name a few...

4. Donate to the legal defense fund.

Many demonstrators are facing legal ramifications for "trespassing" and other incidents incurring during the efforts of protection. Many are facing legal fees; click the link above to help.

Flag of the Standing Rock Sioux tribe.

5. Donate to the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe.

For legal, sanitary, emergency, and revitilizing purposes, the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe is accepting donations. You can click the link above to donate online, or donate by mailing a check (payable to Standing Rock Sioux Tribe ― Donations) to:

Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, Attention: Donations, P.O. Box D, Building #1, North Standing Rock Ave., Fort Yates, ND 58538.

6. Call the governor.

Please be professional, and call North Dakota governor Jack Dalrymple at 701-328-2200.

President Barack and First Lady Michelle Obama at the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation in June 2014.

7. Call the White House.

The Obama Administration has been disappointingly apathetic in regards to the Dakota Pipeline. Call the White House at (202) 456-1111 or (202) 456-1414 and request President Obama rescind the Army Corps of Engineers’ Permit for the Dakota Access Pipeline.

8. Call the Army Corps of Engineers.

Demand (again, professionally) a removal of the permit: (202) 761-5903.

9. Call the pipeline executives.

Lee Hanse -- Executive Vice President Energy Transfer Partners, L.P.

800 E Sonterra Blvd #400 San Antonio, Texas 78258 // (210) 403-6455 // Lee.Hanse@energytransfer.com

Glenn Emery -- Vice President Energy Transfer Partners, L.P.

800 E Sonterra Blvd #400 San Antonio, Texas 78258 // (210) 403-6762 // Glenn.Emery@energytransfer.com

Michael (Cliff) Waters -- Lead Analyst Energy Transfer Partners, L.P.

1300 Main St. Houston, Texas 77002 // (713) 989-2404 // Michael.Waters@energytransfer.com

10. Spread the word.

As simple as it is, social media sharing is nothing to be scoffed at. Be vocal, be read, and educate others. Even better, try to combine this effort with others listed here, and you will be helping a historical justice movement.

#WaterIsLife.