10 Water Sport Activities To (Safely) Try With Your Friends This Summer

When people say water sports, you might have the idea of something that gets the adrenaline racing, such as jet skiing or surfing.

147

Planning a vacation with your friends? Make some room for water sports on your itinerary! They're a great bonding experience and the perfect way to have fun. Whether you want to enjoy something shared and tranquil, like stand up paddle boarding, or get an adrenaline rush with parasailing, there's a water sport for you!

You might have tried some of these water sports already, while some of your group could be complete newbies. Whichever it is, we've picked 10 of the most fun water sports you can do this summer. Let's check them out!

1. Stand up paddle boarding

When people say water sports, you might have the idea of something that gets the adrenaline racing, such as jet skiing or surfing. But, stand up paddle boarding shows that you don't need to go fast to enjoy water sports!

Best practiced on flat water, SUP is a relaxed and tranquil workout, which will act as a stress reliever while strengthening your core. Due to the relaxed nature, it's perfect to do with friends, and beginners can get to grips with the sport in a matter of hours.

Best of all, stand up paddle boarding doesn't limit you to heading out with just human pals. You can even take your dog along... as long as they have a doggy lifejacket and are happy to sit still!

2. Surfing

The more intense cousin of standup paddle boarding, surfing, is a great water sport to do with friends. Thanks to the cool social scene around this board sport, it's the perfect way to make friends, too!

Popular with solo travelers, it's easy to build relationships and make friends by hitting up a surf camp, where you can get beginner lessons. Surfing can be done in all weather, so this one isn't just for sunny days. Perfect if you live somewhere, like the UK, where you can't trust the weather to be good even in the height of summer!

3. Kayaking

Next up is kayaking, which is a great way to get up close and personal with nature. Get out onto rivers and look for birdlife or try sea kayaking where you can paddle between secret beaches and hidden coves. Similar to surfing, kayaking also has an active social scene. So, even if you start kayaking alone, it won't be long before you have some friends to hit the water with!

Some kayaks have room for two paddlers, so it's a good activity for couples as well as friends. Its easy nature means it's a popular option for families, too.

4. White water rafting

Like surfing is to stand up paddle boarding, there are some similarities between kayaking and white water rafting. But many more differences!

Done in groups, rather than solo, it's an ideal activity for a group of friends. You'll all have to work together to paddle along fast-flowing river and capture the biggest rapids. Sometimes, you can drop five to 10 meters in a single jump. There are few water sports that are as exhilarating and refreshing as white water rafting, and it's all the more fun with friends!

5. Cliff jumping

Here's one that will get your heart racing. Cliff jumping is a great water sport to do with a group of friends and an easy way to make new ones.

Cliff jumping spots are usually well known, and it's important you find one. Finding your own spot could end badly, you can never be too sure of what's under the water. Make sure not to jump too soon after your friends, they'll need time to vacate their landing spot!

6. Kite surfing

Next, we'll look at two sports that are often confused. First up is kite surfing, which is also known as kite boarding. If you've done snowboarding before, it may be familiar. You'll be strapped to a board by your feet while holding on to a kite. When doing this extreme sport, you can be lifted meters in the air, but don't worry, you're attached by a harness so you won't lose your kite!

7. Wind surfing

Wind surfing is a little less extreme than kitesurfing, but it's still a lot of fun. This time, it's a surfboard attached to a sail. You'll glide across the water, but beware, you're attached to neither a board nor a sail, so it's only your talent and experience keeping you on the board!

8. Wake boarding

Want to impress your friends with some tricks? Wake boarding is the sport to do. Like kite surfing and snowboarding, your feet will be strapped onto the board. Only this time, you'll be pulled along by a speedboat. In the beginning, you should just focus on staying on the board. But, once you've got your balance mastered, try some tricks!

9. Parasailing

Part of a friendship group looking for big thrills? Parasailing is the activity for you. In this one, you get serious air. It's another one where you're attached to a parachute, but you'll be strapped to a parachute, too! As the boat accelerates, you'll go higher in the air. It's one of the closest things to flying. Look down, and you'll have a spectacular bird's eye view of the coast and sea below.

Parasailing can see you flying up to more than 1,000 feet in the air, so maybe give this one a miss if you're afraid of heights!

10. Snorkeling/Scuba diving

You may not consider snorkeling and scuba diving water sports, but they're both quite a workout. They're also fabulous to do with friends. Imagine sharing the experience of getting right up close to tropical fish, sharks and rays with your besties.

Snorkeling is the easier of the two sports, and you won't need a lot of equipment or experience to get started. However, for a bigger thrill and challenge, consider scuba diving. You'll need a PADI certificate, but learning something in a group of friends is always more fun!