10 Video Game Characters That Will Always Have A Piece Of My Heart

Sometimes the characters in video games have a bigger impact than the game itself.

252
BioWare

I think it's fair to say that every gamer has been in love with a video character at one point or another. Maybe you're like me and find someone in every video game that you just adore. Maybe the obsession with said video game character will never die. What can I say? Video games have had a huge impact on who I am. They're always there for me on an especially bad day, and add to the greatness of the good days.

Here are just a few characters that inspire me, or that I'm just straight up in love with. This list is in no particular order, and frankly, barely touches the surface.

This article contains spoilers

1. Anders from "Dragon Age 2"

A sweetheart mage who loves cats and heals people. How can you go wrong? Well, there was that blowing-up-the-Chantry thing, but it's not like they didn't have it coming. He may be a fugitive, but he'll make your heart flutter with his romantic words. Also, the guy's got sass.

2. Kate Marsh from "Life is Strange"

Don't even get me started on how much emotional distress she caused me during my first playthrough of "Life is Strange." She's a precious soul, and is repeatedly victimized. The poor girl left behind some scars that may never heal. You just want to hug her and tell her it's all going to be OK.

3. Tali'Zorah from the "Mass Effect" trilogy

Okay, maybe I'm biased because our names are similar. You can't deny that she's a total badass, though. Being exiled, losing her father, and not even being able to breathe unfiltered air are just a few of her 'quirks'. Yet, she maintained much of her naivety throughout the games. She just needs someone to help her kick Reaper ass (Commander Shepard, perhaps?).

4. Cullen Rutherford from "Dragon Age: Inquisition"

I know he's problematic. He was a racist asshole in the first game and still has reservations about mages by the third game, but he went through traumatic experiences that would fill anyone with hate. If you're looking for someone trying to go cold turkey from Lyrium, has a lip scar, and is super hot, then he's your man. He is simultaneously a powerful commander and a complete dork.

5. Ciri from "The Witcher 3"

What a Queen. She's the true hero in "The Witcher 3." I love Geralt, but Ciri is such a badass from the very beginning. She shows tremendous bravery and patience throughout the game, and I think she's quite underrated.

6. Jaal Ama Darav from "Mass Effect: Andromeda"

One playthrough and you'll realize just how irresistible Jaal is. His culture barrier makes it even cuter as he tries to seduce you with poetic emails and genuine words. He is the best romance, in my opinion. His storyline fits perfectly with the plot line of the game, and it's clear that the creators intended for him to be the central love interest. He's such a well-written character, and I want him to get the recognition that he deserves.

7. Ellie from "The Last of Us"

This is another of the many badasses on this list. Ellie fights like hell and saves herself multiple times. She takes care of herself and Joel when he gets sick. She has the responsibility of humanity on her shoulders and takes it like a champ. Not once did I ever doubt her survival skills. She's someone I'd want to call my daughter.

8. Clementine from "The Walking Dead" trilogy

Oh, look, another young girl who totally kicks ass. Of course, she relies on Lee in the first game, who almost got a spot on this list, but as the games progress, she grows increasingly independent. She goes from a scared little girl to a complete zombie-killing machine. We can probably thank Lee for some of that.

9. Alistair from "Dragon Age Origins"

Have you ever licked a lamppost in winter? Perhaps you want to with Alistair. He plays the humorous bastard (literally) who takes this game to the next level of enjoyment. He is hands down my favorite character in this game, and I know many would agree with me. His witty one-liners make all of the darkspawn-killing worth it.

10. Jack from "Mass Effect" 2 & 3

Jack is the jerk that you just feel bad for. She had an awful childhood of being locked away for experimentation, and now she has remaining trust issues because of it. You feel a special relationship with her once she lets you through all of her emotional walls. Like her life, it's complicated. All I know is that Angelina Jolie better play her if there's ever a "Mass Effect" film.