10 Tips For Tackling First Semester

10 Tips For Tackling First Semester

Advice from a baby bison.

47
10  Tips For Tackling First Semester
mapio

Typically, I start school each year by posing for pictures with some of my best friends, all dressed up in outfits we planned the week before. This year, I woke up, took a shower in a cinder-block cell, threw on my lucky dress, and traipsed down three flights of stairs only to trek back up the hill atop of which sit Bucknell's academic buildings. Clearly, the start of my college career was nothing like any of my first days had been. The hardest part of starting school this year (besides beginning three weeks earlier than normal) was tackling the day without a hug from my mom, a call from my dad (I did get texts from both!), and my long-time friends by my side. However, us first years on the third floor of Smith did pretty well on our own. Below are some tips for tackling the first week of college, compiled by the best hall there is.

1. Be Social.

This is definitely hard if you're anything like me, however, a great new friend of mine stressed the importance. "Everyone is in the same boat," she said, and elaborated on how the situation is new for everyone and everyone is just looking for friends. Don't be afraid to introduce yourself to the person sitting next to you in calculus-- who knows, he/she could be your next best friend.

2. Keep Yourself Busy.

A lot of schools (Bucknell included) have new student orientation programs which are jam-packed with activities from dawn until dusk. These are GREAT, and you should definitely take advantage of them. Not only will you learn everything there is to know about your school, but you'll also be too busy to get homesick and you'll make lots of new friends who can support you should you get homesick later on.

3. Do Your Homework.

What better way to keep yourself busy? Doing your homework every night is a huge part of success in college and it may take you more than the few hours it did in high school. Although it might seem like a pain, it's important to devote time and effort to your homework in the first week; it helps you form good habits for the rest of your semester and college career.

4. Sleep.

There is a common belief that college kids are able to work all day and party all night with little to no sleep in between. I promise you, this is a myth. Please make sure to get enough rest, especially during the week when you have classes. If you're out partying all night on Wednesday, Thursday classes will suffer. Besides, parties are so much better on the weekends.

5. Caffinate.

If you do pull an all-nighter, caffeine will be your saving grace. Tea, coffee, what have you, just stay awake long enough to sit though that classic Greek literature class.

6. Join Study Groups.

At Bucknell, we have an amazing program that organizes study groups specific to each class you can take. If you're school has a similar program, get in on it. Often times your peers can explain a tricky concept in a way that a professor can't. If your school doesn't have pre-organized study groups, don't be afraid to start your own with a few other people from your class. Your grade will thank you.

7. Take Your Vitamins.

If you haven't taken vitamins before, now is the time to start. It's hard to get the proper nutrients in your system, especially when no one is telling you what to eat. Along the same lines, invest in a few good water bottles and carry one with you at all times. It's easy to forget to stay hydrated!

8. Manage Your Time.

Get a planner. Use your phone. Go to the library. Get your work done. It doesn't matter how you do it, but you'll learn early on that without organization and planning, college workloads can be overwhelming.

9. Try Your Best.

By your best, I mean your absolute, very best work. If you don't understand something, see you professor or ask a friend who excels in the subject area. It's never too early to start forming good habits. Also, know this: as long as you're giving your best effort, no one can be upset with you.

10. Keep An Open Mind.

College is unique in that it brings together people from all different geographic locations and cultural backgrounds. Keep an open mind towards everything and everyone. You'll meet people who are very different from you and try things you've never even thought about before. These experiences are part of what makes college so great, so enjoy them.

Good luck!

Special Thanks to those who contributed: Julia Carita, Marissa Dipalo, Kyle Fouke, Tyler Keiser, Olivia Loggia, Lily Mitchell, Sarah Rossi, Gabriella Santoro, and Nick Sening.