10 Things to Do This Winter in NYC

10 Things to Do This Winter in NYC

Nothing beats winter in New York.

176
10 Things to Do This Winter in NYC

New York City is known for being one of the most desired winter destinations. Known for its shopping and magical holiday essence in the winter, NYC has so many different things to do throughout the winter. Form cliche holiday attractions to smaller winter events, NYC is one of the most amazing places to spend the winter. Here are ten of the best things to do in New York City in the winter!

1. The Rockefeller Tree

It’s the most cliché part of Christmas time in the city but there really is something amazing about going to see the tree every year. Take the train in with a bunch of your friends, or a significant other, dress as warm as possible, and grab some dinner before going to take a picture in front of one of New York’s most popular winter attractions. Go and see it from November 30th- January 7th!

2. Union Square Holiday Market

Located in the heart of Manhattan in Union Square Park, this market holds hundreds of unique gifts created by local craftsmen and artists and brings in thousands of people each year. With live music, music stations, tons of food, and hundreds of vendors, the market is perfect for a day in the city with friends and family. Nothing screams the holidays more than hot chocolate and shopping in New York. Make sure to stop by this great market from November 17th – December 24th!

3. SantaCon 2016

Who wouldn’t want to go to a convention/bar crawling with thousands of drunk people dressed up as Santa? SantaCon is a charitable Santa Claus convention that kicks off on December 10th, in Williamsburg Brooklyn. The location of the convention is not announced until the night before. It being my first December as 21, I’ve never been to SantaCon but it’s a new must on my winter bucket list! Just remember the five F’s of SantaCon, Don’t F*ck with kids, don’t f*ck with cops, don’t f*ck with bar staff, don’t f*ck with NYC, and don’t f*ck with Santa’s charity mission.

4. Dyker Heights Christmas Lights

This Brooklyn town has been known to have some of the most amazing Christmas light displays in the country! Hundreds of people have flocked to “Dyker Lights” over the past ten years to see its amazing Christmas lights displays. Houses have professionally done displays and definitely gives Rockefeller Center a run for its money!

5. Radio City Christmas Spectacular

Another December NYC must is a tradition dating back decades, The Radio City Christmas Spectacular is a NYC must! Perfect for Christmas time, the spectacular is perfect for the whole family. No matter how many times you see this show, it does not get old! Christmas time in the city has got to include The Rockettes at some point!

6. Bryant Park Ice Skating

Winter in New York City isn’t complete without a day of ice skating. There are more than 3 major ice skating rinks in central Manhattan alone, but Bryant Park Ice Skating is a definite must! Open from October 29th to March 5th, the Bank of America Winter Village at Bryant Park holds the rink and features free admission ice skating. Winter Village in Bryant Park in itself is amazing, but a couple hours at the rink is so fun!

7. City Bakery’s Annual Hot Chocolate Festival

Every February, this Union Square restaurant celebrates each day with a new unique flavor of their hot chocolate. With a new specialty hot chocolate every day, it’s almost impossible to stay away. Who wouldn’t want to celebrate an entire month of awesome hot chocolate? Coty Bakery is a great spot to stop at on a brisk February NYC day.

8. Brooklyn Flea

Usually located outside on the Williamsburg waterfront, Brooklyn Flea moves indoors for the Winter Flea and Holiday Market from November 5th to March 2017. Full of vintage, antique, and other various vendors, the market is perfect for a day full of shopping. At this market there is also 24 Smorgasburg vendors selling food every Saturday and Sunday, famous for its unique and delicious food!

9. Prospect Park Fireworks

Hosted on December 31st, the Prospect Park Fireworks are a great NYC alternative to being in Time Square. The night includes live entertainment in addition to the firework show!

10. Macy’s Window Display

The holiday window displays on the Broadway side of Macy’s have been a NYC holiday tradition for decades. Thousands come to see the intricate displays the store creates for viewers, usually following a selected theme.