10 Things To Be Thankful For During The Holidays

Sometimes, it's easy to lose sight of the things that matter.

78

The holidays can be a difficult time for a many people, especially those who have felt great loss or sorrow.

However, it is important to remember why we are here every day and to remain humble and thankful for the things we have every day. Here are 10 tiny things that you can remind yourself to be thankful for every day, especially throughout the holidays.

1. Your significant other.

Even though he/she can drive you crazy, there’s no one else you’d rather be on this life journey with. There’s no one else that knows you on such a deep level and still loves you completely.

2. Your siblings.

Growing up, fighting over silly things or being a tattle-tail when you shouldn’t have made for fun lifelong memories.

Even though you might not have gotten along well when you were a little younger (what siblings do?), there’s no one else that would have your back in a heartbeat now, and especially as you get into your adult years.

3. Your parents.

Without them, you wouldn’t even exist. Enough said, right?

But beyond that, these two people can love you unconditionally and have been there to pick you up when you’ve been hurt, to care for you when you’ve been sick, and to be there to listen when you needed some advice.

Even if you don't have a good relationship with them currently, maybe now is the time to reach out and make amends.

4. Your friends.

Friends are so important in life.

They are the family that you get to choose in life and have been there for some of your best (and worst) moments. I don't know where I would be in my life without my friends as a guiding hand and heart. They are such blessings in life!

5. Your job.

Working for and doing something that you love is key to a good and happy life.

Just the ability to go somewhere every day, make money, and bring it home to make a living for yourself and your family is a blessing in itself. And unfortunately, a lot of people aren't so lucky, so it's important not to take it for granted.

6. Your neighbors.

The word “neighbor” sounds so impersonal, especially if your neighbor is more than that.

Who else watches your house when you go out of town, takes care of your animals, makes extra dinner to share it with you, and is a good friend?

Even if we're talking about dorm neighbors. Be thankful for the movie nights and times they knocked on your door, asking if you wanted to get food.

You can even be thankful for the loud, rude neighbors because they're teaching you to be more patient with each passing day.

7. Your health.

Good health is so important, especially when disease and sickness seem to be everywhere.

Being healthy is something to be very thankful for, especially when you and your family are all healthy. Not everyone is lucky enough to have good health during the holidays, or any other time during the year.

8. Your pets.

Pets add so much joy to your life and love you unconditionally.

Dogs, especially, live to please you and do wonders for your health as well. Cats have a lot of love for you and help with any loneliness you might experience.

Pets make life so much more fun and have so much love to give.

9. Your body.

Your arms. Heart. Legs. Fingers. Toes. Eyes. Ears. Mouth. Feet.

You have all your body parts here and functioning.

And if you don't, you're more thankful for everything else you do have. And that is something else that we should never take for granted.

10. Your house.

You're thankful that you have a roof over your head.

That you have air conditioning to cool you off and heat to warm you up. That you have a kitchen to cook meals with and a bathroom to use and keep clean. That you have hot water and a comfortable bed to sleep in.

Our homes are one of our greatest gifts of all.

11. Your technology.

This honestly goes without saying, but we are so lucky to live where technology is so readily accessible: a working phone, television, computer, wifi, data.

It's a blessing to have access to things like this every day and we should be more than thankful.