10 Things Retail Workers Desperately Want You to Know

After working retail for over two summers at two different establishments, I have learned more than a thing or two about the struggles retail workers go through on a daily basis. Oftentimes, it amazes me how many shoppers don't possess proper shopping manners. Retail workers are people too, so for the sake of them everywhere, here are 10 things we DESPERATELY want every shopper to know before walking into our store.

*Some details include updated shopping experiences with Covid-19.*

1) Learn dressing room etiquette

This perhaps might be the MOST important item on this list, and that's why I am mentioning it first. Each store is different, but there are basic dressing room etiquette all shoppers should know. Unless specifically told, please don't leave your unwanted clothes in the dressing room. Hand them to us so we can properly put them back in their rightful place. Oh, and do hang them up properly or fold them nicely. This isn't your bedroom!

*Covid-19: Many stores do not have dressing rooms open at this time, but for those that are, this detail is crucial because some places might have special sanitizing procedures to follow after a customer has tried something on.*

2) Please keep mannequins clothed at all times

Don't attempt to remove an article of clothing or any accessories from the mannequins showing them off. If you want that certain item, we would be happy to look for it for you or take it off the mannequin ourselves. It's all fun and games, until you realize one of the mannequins has no pants on. Yikes!

3) Take your empty Starbucks cup with you!

A well fed and hydrated shopper is the best! However, when you are done with said items, please dispose of them properly! Nothing is worse than cleaning up after closing and you find someone's spoiled, leftover sandwich sitting among the merchandise.

4) Closing time is closing time!

We hate when people walk in RIGHT before closing! Most of us have been on our feet working all day. The last thing we want is to have you stick around the store twenty minutes after closing. Just like you, we are tired and want to go home. So, unless you are picking up something really quick, please refrain from walking in five minutes before closing.

*Covid-19: Many store hours are reduced to decrease the spread of the virus. Be sure to look up a store's updated hours before shopping!*

5) This isn't your closet

Every store has a specific way they like to organize the sale floor, depending on size, color, style, etc. However, after a long day at work, we don't want to spend the next two hours putting misplaced items back in their correct homes. If you don't know where you picked up an item, please give it back to us. It will definitely save us a lot of time preparing the store for the next day.

6) Patience is important

The last thing retail workers want to hear is shoppers complaining about how slow the line is going or a certain item isn't available. We will try to fulfill your request as best and as fast as we possibly can. But when there's twenty other people in front of you complaining about the same thing over and over again, it's nice to get a break for once.

*Covid-19: Due to social distancing, most stores have a capacity limit they have to uphold. Sure, it may suck to wait in a long line to get into your favorite store, but your health will thank you later for practicing safety procedures!*

7) Discounts, Discounts, Discounts

We all love discounts and buying new clothes for cheaper. However, don't try to ask for more discounts. We understand if an article of clothing is ripped or stained, and at that point we can totally accommodate your request. Yet, once something has been discounted as far as it can be, we can't lower the price any further. Most of the time we aren't in charge of which items are discounted or not.

8) We aren't babysitters

Please be sure to keep an eye on your little ones while shopping. As retail workers, we are doing twenty million things at a time. We don't have time to watch your kids and keep them out of trouble, because the last thing we want is for a child to go missing among the maze of clothing racks.

9) We love exact change!

It makes our day when a customer says they have exact change. We don't have to scramble to calculate the correct amount.

*Covid-19: Due to the coin shortage from COVID-19, most stores can't provide change back. So if you can, give up some of your quarters and pennies to help them out!*

10) Lastly, we are always here to help!

We want to make your shopping experience the best it can be, whether that be finding a certain size, reaching something off a high shelf, or offering style tips. Don't be shy to ask for help! It's what we're here for!

*Covid-19: Be sure to protect yourself and others by wearing a mask during your shopping adventures (and everywhere else too)!*