10 Things To Remember When Taking Summer Classes
Summer Break

10 Things To Remember As You Struggle Through Your Summer Classes

Summer classes can be a great way for college students to catch up or get ahead. For others, it is the only way to graduate on time.

136

I would rather be sitting on a beach than in class, but I am one of lucky few who ended up with 12 credits online. I'll be able to sit by the pool or with my puppies next to me and study my little heart out all summer.

Taking three classes over the summer is a bummer, but for me, it's the only way I get to graduate on time.

1. This isn't high school, and you have to treat it like an actual class.

It is so easy to put off homework to go to the pool or take a weekend trip, but before you do ask yourself "Would I do this during a regular four-month semester?" If the answer is no, don't do it now. Buckle down and get it done now and schedule your vacations around long weekends or the couple weeks in between summer or fall courses.

2. If your classes are online, try not to get behind.

I made the mistake of putting off both of my online classes last semester and it was tragic. I didn't schedule out my life to allot time for the classes I was taking and my grades reflected that. Give yourself a chunk of time each day or larger charger chunks of time a few days a week to get everything done so you can still be successful.

3. Remind yourself why you're taking the courses in the first place.

Are your classes required for your major or just a general education requirement that you have to have to graduate? Either way, you signed up for these classes this summer for a reason. Don't let yourself get behind just because it is summer.

4. These classes can get you ahead, which is a good thing!

Think about how awesome it could be to graduate a full semester early because you buckled down and worked hard for this summer! You got this!

5. If you switched your major, this is your chance to catch up!

I was lucky and realized I hated my original major early. For a lot of people who switch their majors late end up a full semester or year behind. These summer classes could help you get ahead if you take enough hours and graduate on time.

6. Don't forget to read the syllabus.

You should be trained by now to read every syllabus, but I promise you may forget this vital step this summer. Especially with any online classes you need to rely on your syllabus to get through these courses.

7. Don't forget to take time for yourself.

Just like a full semester, you need to schedule in some relaxation or you won't do well in your classes! Take a run in between topics you are studying or carve out Sunday for a full-on spa and Netflix day to get ready for the semester.

8. Try to stay in contact with the professor.

It is natural to leave quickly after your classes or not send an email introducing yourself to an online professor, but these connections you make with your summer professors could make or break the grades you get in the classes.

9. These classes could cause your GPA to soar.

I learned last summer that my GPA really needed the boost a summer gives you. Stay focused on academics, get a 4.0 for summer and bring your overall GPA up!

10. You got this!

Don't ever forget that you are super smart and will do great this summer!

As always, keep your education on the forefront of your mind right now while still enjoying summer. Yes, it is annoying and feels like a punishment, but it will be so epically worth it in the long run. You will not regret getting ahead, staying ahead and maybe even help boost your GPA enough for more scholarships next year!