10 Words People Mispronounce That Irks Me To My Core

Warning: an extreme amount of sarcasm may cause the reader to take this personally.

97
@theofficenbc on Instagram

SAVING!!! It's Daylight SAVING! Today, as in the day I am writing this article, March 8th, 2020, I have been bothered over and over by people complaining about losing an hour of sleep due to Daylight Savings. Now, of course, I can't just correct people - I'd lose all my friends. But please, for the love of all that is good and holy, stop saying Daylight Savings. It is Daylight Saving. You are saving daylight.

But, of course, this constant use of incorrect grammar not only ruined my day, but triggered my mind to snowball into my top 10 most hated mispronunciations, and please, enjoy the sarcasm.

1. February

This is like people saying li-bar-ee. instead of li-bray-ree. Y'all love to say feb-yoo-a-ree, but there is an "R" there. I can see how the "R" can get lost when saying it fast, but come on guys. Feb-roo-a-ree.

2. Halloween

Obviously, no small child is going to care if you open your door and say Happy "Hollow-een" - they just want their candy. But know that I, their future parent, will be silently judging you in my mind. Happy "Hallo-ween", Karen.

3. Nuclear

This one actually makes me chuckle. It's so commonly accepted to say "new-cuw-lur" instead of "new-clee-ar" because a number of U.S. presidents, including Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, have used the incorrect pronunciation. This "version" of the word is actually so commonly accepted, you might be able to find it in a newer dictionary. But it makes you sound ignorant, so don't say it! Just trying to help you out.

4. Foyer

Guys. You're not French. It's "foy-ur" not "foy-ay". I will not step foot in your home if you try to invite me to come into the "foy-ay."

5. Mischievous

Some of this is about emphasis, but most of it is about how English spelling is wack. I do see how you could read this as "mis-cheev-i-ous," but unfortunately, you're all saying it wrong. It's "mis-chiv-ous". Sorry, I don't make the rules.

6. Data

This is like "ah-dult" vs. "uh-dult." You could technically say "dah-tuh," but for the sake of the article, IT'S "DAY-TUH"." Have you never seen Star Trek?

7. Jewelry

If I hear y'all say "jool-uh-ree" one more time... I might lose it. It is pronounced "jool-ree".

8. Prescription

Ok, I used to struggle with this one, and I would inevitably spell it "perscription" and then Microsoft Word would get mad at me and underline it in red. But it helped me learn, so no harm, no foul. The correct pronunciation is "pruh-scrip-shun," not "per-scrip-shun," or "pro-scrip-shun."

9. Supposedly

There is no letter "B" in this word. "Su-pos-ab-lee" makes my skin crawl. "Su-pos-ed-lee" is how you should be saying it. I'm begging you. Please don't trigger me like that.

10. Salmon

Let's settle this once and for all, okay? You sound dumb ordering "sal-mun." The "L" is silent, treat it as such. Now, say it with me, "sam-un"...

But, seriously, I can almost forgive you, because WHY IS THAT "L" THERE???