10 Easy Study Tips To Help Boost Your Grades To Start The New Semester

Start 2020 off right and study better than you did last semester.

3221

Being in college and being a perfectionist when it comes to my academics, I found myself not only studying a lot but having lots of anxiety because of stress.

These 10 tips are things that help my studying go more smoothly, causing my semester to be less stressful. Studying is something we all have to do at some point in our lives and most people don't enjoy it.

I hope these tips help you while making you enjoy the concept of studying. It's important to have many study skills so you can not only be more confident but also succeed.

1. ORGANIZATION

One thing you will eventually learn in school is that being organized will help you in the long run. Obviously not being organized will catch up with you eventually.

I'm the kind of person who has a messy room and forgets where I put a specific shirt or even my glasses. One thing I learned is that I can't be that way when it comes to my academics. It makes life harder and stressful.

I suggest investing in an organization planner. If you're the type of person who always forgets to write stuff down or you're just not a planner type of person I suggest downloading a planner app.

I use the app "Atracker" just as an option because sometimes it's easier to use your phone rather than writing things down.

2. PRINT OUT POWERPOINT SLIDES

Sometimes professors are nice enough to upload their PowerPoint slides online before lecture I suggest if this is what your professor does, then take advantage.

I had a professor last semester who would upload the PowerPoint for the week every single week. I would print them out, look over them and then put them in a binder.

When it was time for class, I wouldn't be using my time to write down stuff, my focus would be on the lecture. I know printing can be expensive, but if you have the means to do so please take advantage!

3. ALWAYS LOOK OVER YOUR SYLLABUS

Rather if you're a freshman or a senior the syllabus will always be the bible for class. Please do not go to class without knowing what's on the syllabus. Also, occasionally look over your syllabus throughout the weeks.

This will help you to know when you have an exam and will give you a timeline to study and become more organized. The syllabus is there to help you so use it!

4. Do NOT procrastinate instead, study as early as possible

At the beginning of the semester, I always schedule study blocks for when I know I have a huge chunk of free time. I use those times to jump into assignments even if they aren't due for another three weeks.

Spreading out studying and homework gives you more free time in the long run and is also beneficial in the long run. Start studying asap not when the due date is closer. This will lower any anxiety you may have and will also help your memory.

5. Flashcards

If you're anything like me I can not study without flashcards. Most exams and tests are just testing how well you can recall and retain information. Flashcards is a fun and easy way to study and practice your memory skills.

6. Listen to Motivational Speeches

I go into the library put in my headphones and play YouTube motivational speeches. It's kind of different but it works for me. Go on YouTube and look up inspirational/motivational videos and I promise you, you're going to feel at least 10 percent more motivated to study and get work done.

I suggest one day trying this or even try this before studying. This besides music is my favorite study tool.

7. Listen to soft music.

Listening to soft calm music like classical or coffee house music brushes off my anxiety and gives me peace while I study. It keeps me focus throughout and is also good background noise.

8. Take advantage of the help offered to you

Start implementing your professor's office hours into your schedule. Your professors are there to help you, so take advantage. It's also nice getting one on one help.

If your campus offers tutors take advantage of it and get one even if you don't think you might not need it! It's important to be cautious and safe just in case you need help in the middle of the semester.

9. Form a study group

Having people who are motivated to get work done around you while you need to study is helpful. Grab some friends and order pizza and sit down and start to get to work.

This helps me a lot because sometimes I get distracted and it is nice having someone to tell me to get back on track. Also, psychologically our minds want to do what everyone around us is doing sometimes.

So, when everyone around you is studying you will feel a bit more motivation to study

10. Read out loud

I don't know the science behind this but reading my notes out loud and talking it through to myself out loud is extremely helpful. Of course, this is best if you're not somewhere like a quiet zone in the library.

Also reading my notes like I'm talking to a class or trying to explain it to someone helps me thoroughly understand what I just read and helps me with retaining the information.

Remember, to stay motivated throughout the chaos, remember your long-term goals. This is temporary and is helping you reach your big goal.

Change your mindset and instead of being unhappy that you must take this class, remember that once this class is over, that's another checkmark off your list and closer to your degree or diploma.

Learning is an essential tool for every career or path you may want to take. Just remember the long-term goal, it'll go quicker than you think it will.