10 Situations You Never Thought Would Happen in College

But They Do.

30

1. Breaking up with your high school boyfriend or girlfriend.

Sure, there are exceptions for some of those beautiful high school sweethearts who go off to college together and end up getting married, but even then, it happens. As much as you try to push everyone's advice to the back of your mind about how there are bigger fish in the sea, and college is a time to meet tons of new people, and don't hold yourself back, you will quickly realize that everyone was right. There are bigger fish in the sea, and once you realize it you wonder why you were ever crazy enough to think your high school boyfriend would last forever, let alone date anyone in high school in the first place.

2. The freshman 15, or so.

"I'll go to the rec everyday."

"I'll keep only healthy food in my dorm."

"I'll walk to every class."

Yeah, right! Truth is, part of enjoying the full college experience involves really fattening food at really late hours of the night in excessive amounts -- like Pizza Shuttle at 2 a.m., midnight Sonic runs, and study break cookie bakes at Mr. K's. It's unavoidable. Just accept it, and work it off later. That's what summer is for!

3. Cleaning up after your roommate.

And I don't just mean her dirty laundry. I am referring to the late nights when she has had a little too much to drink, and it ends up all over your dorm room floor. Piece of advice: put her in the shower for about five minutes, break out the water bucket and mix of random cleaning agents, use your shirt as a breathing mask, clean it up, and make her scrub it in the morning -- and she will gladly do it as she will once again be so grateful for you. Oh, and don't forget to get her out of the shower and take her to bed.

4. Roommate payback.

#TBT to the time you cleaned up after your roommate. Well, it's her turn now. Sorry, not sorry. What goes around comes around. But seriously, thank you so much. You're a saint.

5. Staying in to study.

Yeah, right! You're going to have the time of your life! You'll get all your work done early in the week and spend every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night out on the town with your sisters! No. Just no. College is hard, exhausting, and possibly life threatening. You learn that you actually have responsibilities (at least most of us do) and you'll stay in to study while all your friends go out, trust me.

6. Being the DD.

Furthermore, on those nights you must stay in while all your friends go out, you will get multiple calls between the hours of midnight and 4 a.m. for a ride home. Just do it. It's not like you were actually studying, anyway.

7. Calling the parents for money.

It happens. We fall on hard times and we catch ourselves between a rock and a hard place. We have so many expenses: food, school supplies, food, shopping, food, etc. We just can't do it on our own.

8. Failing an exam.

Okay, so maybe you won't completely fail. However, if you were an A student in high school, it is likely that you will be a B student in college without putting in extra effort. Don't fret. You win some, you lose some.

9. Roommate fights.

You may become best friends with your roommate, but living with anybody for longer than a week can cause some serious issues. Just brush it off; she probably didn't mean it.

10. Learning more about yourself than you did in class.

It's true. You'll meet new people, make new friends, and likely make several enemies along the way. All in all, you learn more about yourself than you ever knew before, and that is more useful than any class you could ever take.