10 Shows To Watch To Remind Yourself That Life Is Still Beautiful

In the midst of a pandemic, everyone can use a little bit of joy.

170
Open Laptop With Netflix On

In the darkness of the pandemic that's hovering over everyone' heads and stopping all sense of normalcy, it's understandable that people are losing their minds. Rising death tolls, fear of sickness, racism, the inadequate American infrastructure, and the pandemic are all worrying and deeply depressing things that no plain citizen has control over. It's understandable to feel down about every situation, from the seniors losing their graduations to the hundreds of thousands who have lost their lives.

In this article, I wanted to write about a small piece of happiness to focus on, because in these tough times, we all need a reminder that life can be beautiful. To remind ourselves that we can get through this, to remind ourselves that after these dark times, we will have a hundred more good moments. One of the best ways I've found was to watch shows, because they allow me to watch other people's lives and see their beautiful moments in life. Film is a reflection of human life, and can serve to remind ourselves that there will be life after this is all over. In this article, I'd like to share 10 shows of varying genres that will make you laugh, cry, smile and let you take a rest from your stressful life.

1. "Letterkenny"

Man Saying "Thats whats I appreciates abouts you"

media.giphy.com

A comedic show about the antics of the people who live in a small Canadian town, this show has everything to make you laugh. From fast paced roasts to making fun of their own culture to absurd swears, "Letterkenny" is a lighthearted show that you can put on to have a good laugh. "Letterkenny" is the kind of show that you should watch when you need a pick me up, because the characters will always be there with a puppers in hand and a joke to make you laugh.

2. "Community"

media.giphy.com

What makes "Community" so good? One of my favorite things about this show is the distinct, likable (and unlikeable) crew of main characters. This unlikely friendship between the rag tag group of community college students brings antics, conflicts and drama that they all handle together, and that's the most important of the show. No matter how messy it is, they do it together. Also, who doesn't love Donald Glover?

3. "Love Is Blind"

Woman saying "I was so single it hurt"

media.giphy.com

Okay, hear me out. When this show came out, my Twitter feed was full of talk of this show. "Love Is Blind" is one of Netflix's recent reality tv shows and people have some very mixed reviews. In my opinion, above all else, this show is entertaining. It's about people getting married after getting engaged without even seeing eachother! It's got disaster, conflict, drama, love and both sad and happy endings. It's everything I've ever wanted to watch in a reality TV show, and it sure entertained me.

4. "Gossip Girl"

media.giphy.com

"Gossip Girl" has been around for years, and only recently did I jump on this train. Here's another dramatic, and infinitely entertaining show to watch if you have a taste for backstabbing friends, petty fights and young hiers with all the money in the world. Honestly, I'm not sure if I like this show as much as I like watching it. It centers around the same crew of rich young hiers who live in Manhattan, and is full of the politics one might expect from extremely rich, privileged white kids. If you have a taste for seeing rich people ruin their lives with scandals, here's the show for you.

5. "Violet Evergarden"

media.giphy.com

"Violet Evergarden" is the most beautiful shows I've ever seen. With a style of animation that I'd say rivals the beauty of Studio Ghibli films, the scenes from this show are absolutely stunning. Not to mention, the extremely emotional and deep storyline. This show follows Violet Evergarden, a young woman and former soldier in the military, who learns how to become a letter writer. This show is all about Violet's recovery from being a human weapon of mass destruction, and how she learns about humanity through connecting with others.

6. "The Disastrous Life Of Saiki K"

media.giphy.com

Here's another show for the anime lovers, and lovers of ridiculous shows. First of all, the name of the main character is a pun. Saiki K? Psychic? I love it. This animated show is all about the weird and entertaining events that happens in Saiki K.'s life, and oh, by the way, he was born with psychic powers. This show uses irony in the best way, because all our monotoned, sarcastic, psychic power wielding main character wants is to be able to live a normal life yet all of these odd events keeps happening to him!

7. "The Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina"

Woman saying "Nothing's ever easy, is it?"

media.giphy.com

I haven't finished this show yet, but boy is it one of the most exciting fantasy show I've ever seen. A modern take on the occult, "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" has deep world building akin to classics like "Harry Potter" and "Percy Jackson". It's full of everything you'd want in a good fantasy show with deep lore and twists and turn that you don't expect, and a world that you wish you lived in. All of this, starring our sweet protagonist, Sabrina, who has to discover who she really is, and the world she comes from.

8. "Altered Carbon"

Man standing near a fence, overlooking a city

media.giphy.com

If you really want to get lost in another world, "Altered Carbon" is a complicated sci-fi detective show that'll give you much more to think about. An interstellar soldier, Takeshi Kovacs, who's mind has been imprisoned for years after being defeated by the new government order many centuries ago. One day, a rich man named Bancroft offers him to free him, and to buy him a new body but only if Takeshi will solve Bancroft's murder. This dystopian drama gives the audience plenty of material to get lost in from the show's balance of existential themes to deep cut sci fi and political theory.

9. "The Mandolorian"

Baby Yoda drinking from a cup.

media.giphy.com

Please watch this show to see baby Yoda. In all seriousness, "The Mandolorian" is a space western and a smash hit from the Star Wars franchise that follows a solo, gunslinging bounty hunter through his adventures into the far reaches of the universe. If you're a big Star Wars or sci-fi fan, it's a must watch. Even if you aren't, baby Yoda is very cute and you won't be disappointed with an amazing space western.

10. "Because This Is My First Life"

Man ruffling a woman's hair

media.giphy.com

I'm not a big fan of the over the top, ultra complicated Asian dramas that we see. I knew I wanted to include an Asian drama on this list, but honestly, I am not a fan of the cliches such as a mean mother in law or the normal girl capturing the attention of multiple rich, hot guys. "Because This Is My First Life" is a wholesome, gentle story about two people falling in love in a hilarious situation. A young tenant decides to marry her landlord in order to get free housing, and the two slowly get closer and get to know each other throughout their engagement. It's beautiful, it's pleasant to watch, and not overly dramatic at all.

All of these shows vary greatly in drama and content, but one thing they all have in common is that there are very real reflections of our world. Life can be very exhausting right now, but by seeing pieces of humanity, these shows can serve as a beacon of hope and joy for us. No matter if you watch one of these recommendations, watch none of them, or watch all of them, I hope this article helped you think about happier things for a little while.