15 Tips For Making It To The Finish Line During Finals Week

Treat yo' self.

101
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/05/02/6366088220645549882065678647_1060%20s.jpg

Finals are quickly approaching and with that comes, stress, lack of sleep, anxiety, poor eating habits and many things that are very unhealthy. Here are some times to help you get through the next few weeks. You have worked so hard. You will make it to the finish line!

1. Make a List

lazy to do list GIF by SpongeBob SquarePantsIt may seem ridiculous and while making one it may overwhelm you, but lists will help keep you organized and every time you cross something off you will feel more accomplished and will be one step closer to the finish line.

2. Drink Water

gina carano water GIF

If any of you are at all like me then you are basically 75% coffee while trying to get through the next few weeks. Try and remember to drink a few glasses of water throughout the day to help calm your body after all of the caffeine intake.

3. Take a Nap

wake up applause GIF by Originals

This is something that I struggle with. I will push myself to stay awake and not take a nap or stay up late to finish an assignment. Taking even a 15 minute nap at some point throughout your day can give you an energy boost to help you retain more information and be more productive the rest of the day

4. Try Playing a Game

candy crush time GIF

Now this one may seem a little silly, but when you are completely stressed and overwhelmed, take 5 minutes and play a game on your phone. Candy Crush, or Heads Up! if you are in a study group can help you unwind for a few minutes so you can refocus on the work that needs to get done.

5. Ask for Help

big bang theory help GIF

Don't be afraid to go to your professors for help. This is the time they expect you to be in their office everyday. They are your strongest resource, do not be afraid to use them.

6. Set Up an Incentive System

mr peanut teacher GIF

Creating mini goals for yourself will help make tasks more manageable. For example if you have a 30 page reading for a class. Give yourself a small reward after every 10 pages, like 5 minutes of phone time or a piece of candy. It makes the work easier and enjoyable.

7. Study at 15-20 Minute Intervals

arthur studying GIF

It has been proven that studying for hours at a time lowers your retention rate. If you study and ready really diligently for 15-20 minutes and then take a 5 minute break, you will retain more and be more successful. Plus it makes the work seem more manageable.

8. Listen to Non-Lyrical Music

classical music symphony GIF

Listen to orchestra concerts or EDM music, music that you won't get distracted by. Your playlist of the best 00's bops is going to become more of a distraction as people see you dancing in your study room in the library.

9. Get Out of The Library

alexis bledel books GIF

Natural light can help you be less stressed and re-energize you for your studying. Spend some time studying outside if you can, or keep your windows open so the fresh air is circulating. It will help relax you and be better for your mental health.

10. Pet a Puppy!

adorable puppies GIF

Animal therapy is a great help when studying. If you are a student at Susquehanna, we have Dog Days on Friday in the Library. If you aren't I'm sure you have a friend or a local animal shelter that you can go to, to get a quick puppy fix. It will relax you and give you a fun break from studying.

11. Eat Some Fruit and Vegetables

rainbow fitness GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

Going along with drinking water, eating something healthy rather than quick and easy junk food will help your body to have more energy and keep you focused on the tasks at hand. Try carrying some carrots or an apple in your bag rather than going to the vending machine.

12. Stop and Do Some Jumping Jacks

sweating richard simmons GIF by Jake

Or any quick workout really. Doing something active for 30 seconds such as jumping jacks, push-ups, sit-ups will help give you energy and increase your heart rate. This will help you feel more awake and energized.

13. Meditate

breathe in help GIF

Meditation may seem silly but taking 5-10 minutes to recenter yourself and focus on your breathing will help you to find a peace of mind and prepare you for the tasks ahead. A good free website to try out is www.meditationoasis.com They offer free meditation classes some short and some long to help you center your mind and refocus.

14. Remember the Big Picture

big picture class GIF by University of Georgia

One thing that college has taught me is to step back and look at the big picture. We get so focused on getting this paper done and getting an A on this specific quiz that we become narrow minded. Take a minute to step back and acknowledge all of the hard work you have put in this semester. It takes a lot of work and energy to be in college and you have done a lot to be proud of.

15. Treat Yo' Self

parks and recreation treat yo self GIF

When all is said and done and finals are over, remember to treat your self because you have worked so hard. Whether that be buying the dress you have been looking at while procrastinating, or going to the movies, or ordering a bunch of bad food and eating all of it. No matter what it is be proud you made it through the semester and reward yourself for it!