10 Reasons Why You Should Be Anxious For App State Football

App State's first year of bowl eligibility could be program defining.

9

Being a few days removed from the NBA finals and the conclusion of basketball season, for many, it is time to look forward to a very important part of the year.

Fall and football season are right around the corner. After a slow start, App State's football team rallied to post a winning record in its first year of FBS competition last season. This is the first year that Appalachian State will be bowl eligible, and this among many other reasons, should have you pumped up for football season. Here are a few more reasons you should be anxiously awaiting the next time our Mountaineer football team takes the field.

1. App State is being highly touted by major media outlets, such as ESPN.

In fact, ESPN ranks App State at 53 in the nation. It seems at first that 53 is not a very high ranking, but let me put that in perspective. Being 53 in the nation puts App State only 13 spots behind SEC powerhouse South Carolina, and several spots above nearby ACC schools, such as Duke and Virginia. You can check out the full rankings here.

2. App State is returning nearly every starter from last year's team.

Consistency is key to success in any sport, and it is particularly important within a sport that requires a full team effort in order to win games.

3. We are in the Sun Belt, and Boone's climate should play into our advantage tremendously this year.

Some of Appalachian's toughest opponents, such as UL Lafayette, Arkansas State, and long time rival Georgia Southern, will have to visit Boone in the late fall. The temperatures in Boone during the late fall should be a modest cross between the climate of Toronto, Canada and Moscow, Russia by this point.

4. Third Year head coach, Scott Satterfield, is hitting the ground running.

After taking much criticism, Satterfield seems to have figured out the key to continuing the winning tradition at App State. After all, cut the guy some slack, Jerry Moore was a coaching legend and his shoes would have been big to fill for any new coach.

5. App State has performed at high levels in the past.

You can ask any Michigan alum.

6. Do you think App State will struggle to become relevant on a national stage?

Ask students at Boise State if it is possible. For those of you that are not fluent in college football history, Boise State is a school of similar stature to App State, located in Boise, Idaho. Boise State launched itself onto the national scene in the past decade with countless program defining wins against much larger schools in nationally televised primetime games.

7. The visit to Death Valley. Clemson will be a tough matchup!

This is a game that every App State student should be looking forward to. The proximity of Boone and Clemson makes this game within driving distance.

8. You are watching NFL talent when you watch App State play.

9. If we win six games, we become bowl eligible.

This is all it takes to become bowl eligible, but our chance of getting a bowl game will also hinge on the success of other Sun Belt schools. In other words, go App, and hope for sub-par seasons by rival schools.

10. Tailgating season is just around the corner and nothing beats a tailgate at The Rock!

It may be June, but football season is just around the corner, go Apps! Never forget: 34-32.