10 Reasons I Started Watching 'The Bachelor' In College, But Not An Episode Before

There's more to this show than the studly man everyone's fighting over!
284

I had never seen “The Bachelor” prior to coming to college. Sure, I had heard of the hit television show in which a studly young man sweeps dozens of girls off of their feet. I just couldn’t wrap my head around the fact that they could fall in love under such artificial circumstances. I still can’t, actually.

Nevertheless, I now have a list of new reasons to look forward to what could have been a plain ‘ole Monday.

1. Free “rant about your ex” time.

That’s right. You can talk all you want about how your ex may have pushed you aside for another girl. The Bachelor and ex-boyfriends share quite a bit in common at times.

2. A virtual tour of the world.

This year alone, the Bachelor was filmed in Los Angeles, Fort Lauderdale, Lake Tahoe, Italy and Paris. What better way to plan your honeymoon/destination wedding/future summer vacation?

3. Friend bonding time.

Because what group of friends isn’t going to bond over the fact that some of these girls’ actions are ridiculous?

4. It enhances the “homework and talk” experience.

My friends and I coined this phrase after we found that doing homework is much more enjoyable in the presence of others. Commercials serve as an opportune time to crank out those math exercises.

5. You learn what not to love in a man.

Flirting versus complimenting. Good conversation versus quiet observation. What qualities are you looking for in a future spouse? Just as the Bachelor must decide what he’s looking for, my friends and I certainly vocalize what we like to see in a man.

6. The memes.

My guy friends will immediately send our group chat memes after watching the Bachelor together. Honestly, they give us all a good laugh!

7. It’s an escape from everyday life.

After a long and stressful day, it’s easy to turn on this show. It’s so wild and unrealistic that you can’t help but be sucked in week after week.

8. It may or may not be a tad addicting.

Which girl will it be? Developing favorites on the show is inevitable and it’s only natural to obsess over finding out who will make the cut.

9. The girls’ fashion.

“Where can I get that dress?” has been a recurring thought that’s crossed my mind this season. On the other hand, some girls’ sense of fashion has been drastically different than my own, and it’s equally as fun to rip on some of their style choices.

10. You can feel better about the status of your own relationships.

Because seriously, you will never have to compete against dozens of other women for the man you may marry. We all need to take time to appreciate our intimacy with another person.