10 Reasons To Fall In Love With Annette

10 Reasons To Fall In Love With Mousketeer Annette Funicello

Ask the birds and ask the bees / and ask the stars above / who's their favorite sweet brunette / you know, each one confesses: / Annette! Annette! Annette!

125

Annette Funicello is probably the most popular Mouseketeer from the original Mickey Mouse Club. At the very least, she is my favorite Mouseketeer, and I admire her like nobody else.

Annette embodied cheerfulness, optimism, and everything associated with Disney. As I am somebody who longs to work at Walt Disney World, I cannot think of anybody better to call my role model. And you should love Annette too! I can give you ten good reasons!

1. Because she was a shy child, Annette was enrolled in dance lessons

Annette even said that she thought her charm was at least partly the result of her shyness.

2. She was hand selected by Walt Disney to appear on "The Mickey Mouse Club"

At age 12, Annette performed as the Swan Queen in the ballet Swan Lake. Disney was there, scouting for young talent to appear on The Mickey Mouse Club. This made Annette the 12th and final Mouseketeer.

3. She always called Walt Disney "Mr. Disney"

Even though he begged for her to call him "Uncle Walt," Annette was just too shy!

4. She wanted ot change her last nameĀ 

She chose the name Turner because it sounded more American than her birth name. Thankfully, Mr Disney stepped in and convinced her otherwise by stating that her own name would be much more memorable once the viewers had the chance to learn it.

5. While on "The Mickey Mouse Club" she received a lot of gifts from admirers

And she returned them all! Apparently nobody could resist Annette. Boys from all over the country saved their money to buy Annette gifts. They sent wristwatches, school rings, and even engagement rings! However, sweet Annette returned every gift, much to the dismay of some mothers who berated Annette for failing to appreciate the boys' hard work and affection.

6. She continued working for Disney after "The Mickey Mouse Club" disbanded

She was the only one of the original Mouseketeers offered a contract to remain with Disney. Annette recalled that the day she was called into Mr. Disney's office, she feared she was going to be fired for growing too tall. Oh, how wrong she was! Annette went on to appear on television and films, and she recorded 15 albums with Disney!

7. Paul Anka's "Puppy Love" was written for her

Paul Anka immortalized his young romance with Annette in this song.

8. The "Peanuts" Comic Strip Referenced Her

Her Marriage to Jack Gilardi was referenced in the Peanuts comic strip published on January 9, 1965

9. Her Greatest Ambition Was to Become a Mother

She had three children, and she worked tirelessly to be a good mother to them.

10. She created the Annette Funicello research fund for neurological diseases

In 1992, Annette announced that she has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. She established the Fund with the hope of one day finding a cure for multiple sclerosis. Sadly, Annette passed away due to complications caused by the disease on April 8, 2013.

11. "Mickey is more than a mouse to me. I am honored to call him a friend."

If you want to read more about Annette Funicello, I would recommend that you check out this article from the New York Times and this article from D23 Archives.