10 Reasons To Date Yourself

10 Reasons To Date Yourself

Because chances are, that frat boy you're hung up on does not have intentions of marrying you.

38
10 Reasons To Date Yourself

As Valentine's Day rolls around, some of us may be consumed with our own poignancy as we witness our friends and colleagues brim with the love and passion that this day encapsulates. Maybe you just got out of a relationship and you're withering away at the thought of your solitude. Maybe you're losing sleep waiting for a text back from the boy you've had your eye on all week. Maybe you are tired of the emptiness that had emblazoned your heart from the meaningless hook-ups you've helplessly gone back to. What can you do about this?

1. Falling in love with yourself is awesome.

Yes, this may be easier said than done, but this isn't simply ignoring other people. It's making time for you! Go to the gym and get strong for yourself, invest in some good skincare products, or take a Friday night to pamper yourself and reflect. It may not come easy, but with time and effort your confidence will grow.

2. You can do whatever you want.

Whenever you want. Wherever you want. Need I say more? Where's the fun in a night out if it's spent begging a boy to let you wear that? Revel in the freedom you grant yourself. Stay in. Go out. Live your life. Travel. Don't be held back by the ropes of someone else.

3. You can make room for the girls in your life.

When you're looking back at college, are you really gonna want to hold on to the memories of Brad taking you out to get breakfast? Or Brad going to a movie with you? Or Brad liking that one Instagram picture? The truly iconic memories will be the ones made with your girls on that Saturday night, laughing in the streets about how silly you looked dancing in the club. These are the girls who will pave the foundation of your character as you grow into your adult self. Don't lose this opportunity by being hung up on a guy you won't even remember in five years. Choosing your girls is essentially choosing you because one day they will be a part of who you are.

4. You can focus on bettering yourself.

Indulge in your studies without having to balance a relationship on top of everything else in your life! Whether you have sports, an internship, work, or simply just procrastinate like me - getting your work done in a timely manner is not always a feasible task. Freeing yourself of a relationship will be so refreshing for not only your mind but also your education. I know that studying electron configuration is definitely more boring than spending your Friday night watching Netflix and relaxing in bed with your S.O., but in the end, he probably won't be there in three years when you're pursuing your career. Also, what's more attractive than a girl who knows her stuff? Beauty lies in the brain, babe.

5. You'll save yourself from unnecessary heartbreak.

If you've ever had your heart broken, then you understand what a hindrance this can be to your happiness. Chances are, frat boy Brennan does not have intentions of marrying you whenever he asks you to come over late on a Saturday night. Just merely being able to utter, 'no,' will make things a whole lot easier for you as you venture down the road of single-hood. So, the next time Brennan's name pops up on your phone at 3 a.m. on a Tuesday night, remember what to tell him.

6. Being independent will help you mature.

Let me just tell you - while all your friends are in relationships and relying on their significant others, you're figuring things out for yourself. You're able to take a step back and observe things around you the way they are. This is so important. Gain some wisdom. Read some books on the housing market. Do some research on issues you care about. When you broaden your horizons, you become a well-rounded individual. Do this for yourself now and reap the benefits later.

7. You can find out who you really are.

Yes, you may have some ideas now. However, when you're in a relationship, your identity is clouded by who your partner wants you to be. Take advantage of your singlehood and develop some goals as you truly grasp what you are capable of. Once you find out who you are, everything else will fall into place.

8. You don't have to worry about settling.

Independence will make your expectations so clear. When you go from one relationship to the next, you begin to lose sight of what really matters to you and begin to conform to the values of another person. Whether you're in a relationship or not, do notlet this happen. You are your own person, do not give anyone the power to change that. Let your expectations rise as you grow in your independence and realize your worth - yes, you are the hot badass you think you are.

9. You can stack your paper.

What's better than having money? Being able to keep it for yourself! Selfish, right? Girl no. This is your time to be selfish. With all of the money that would be spent towards buying that 'special guy' his birthday present, valentine gifts, Christmas presents, and those shoes he's been wanting 'just because,' you could be putting money towards buying a house or even splurging on that dress you've been eyeing.

10. You have all the time in the world.

Time is money. Literally. Think about all the baths you can take, the Netflix you can binge, the stores you can shop, the sleep you can get, the dogs you can pet, the food you can eat, and all the other possible things you can do with your time rather than text Andrew about his favorite type of waffle (because really, who cares?) Time is finite. Don't be the person that does stupid things with it. I mean truthfully, what type of person prefers going on dates when you can just do this?

So, in two weeks when your friends spill the details of how they spent their Valentines day with their boo, remember that the real winner here is, you. And if you choose you, that is something you will never forget.