10 Reasons You Must Study Abroad in Sevilla, Spain

Your abroad experience is the best time of your life...as long as you spend it in Sevilla.

243
Lucy Carr

Making the decision to study abroad is difficult, especially when deciding where you want to go. People say you must study in the staple European cities, such as Paris or London. However, sometimes the hidden gem cities prove to be much more amazing than you could ever imagine. Sevilla, Spain is the capital of the southern Spain region of Andalusia and is the ideal place to study abroad when you’re in college. It offers beauty, culture, nightlife and the experience of a lifetime.

1. The siesta lifestyle will change your life.

Coming home mid-day for a huge lunch and 3-hour snooze is the most amazing thing. Plus, you have to rejuvenate for the evening’s activities! All the shops close down, and everyone goes home to eat and sleep; it's simply the best routine.

2. Because Tinto de Verano is the greatest drink you'll encounter.

No, it’s not sangria. IT’S BETTER. This mouth-watering beverage will please your taste buds and leave you feeling good too. And even better, it’s the cheapest drink around – head into Cien Montaditos with a euro and you’ll be good to go!

3. You are constantly surrounded by beautiful architectural history.

You can’t walk 2 steps without being amazed by the beautiful architecture that paints the city. Whether it’s the beautiful Cathedral and Giralda Tower, or the Torre de Oro, you will constantly be amazed by what is in front of your eyes. Climbing the Giralda Tower gives you the best view of the city, and don't worry its only 38 ramps up!

4. Because the famous croquetas dish will make your mouth water.

What could possibly go wrong with a fried, cheese and ham filled pastry? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. You can find them anywhere, and they will always satisfy you. Pesto croquetas at the Mercado will become your new weakness.

5. You can walk the entire city to burn off all the croquetas you eat.

A 45 minute walk is considered a “short” walk to the Sevillans, so you can have as many croquetas and tintos you want and still stay in shape. It is definitely the most walkable city, and everywhere you walk will bring a beautiful view.

6. You are forced to speak in Spanish everywhere you go.

Even if you have no idea what you’re saying or what anyone is saying to you, you’re still forced to speak that amazing language and learn more and more everywhere you go. You will leave surprised with how much you learned.

7. The Plaza de España will never cease to amaze you.

The walk passing by this beauty will make you stop in your tracks. You may have seen it in Star Wars, but seeing it every day on your way to class will surprise you each and every day. Riding bikes through the Plaza and the Maria Luisa park is a must.

8. Passing the Guadalquivir River will brighten up your day.

Whether you’re going to ‘botellón’ before the night begins, go for a boat ride, or simply walk by the river, this body of water will never stop being beautiful.

9. Because staying out until 6 am is normal.

When people don’t go out until 2 am, you know it’s going to be a long night. There is something amazing about coming home when the sun comes up and grabbing a churro along the way.

10. Because you will meet incredible life-long friends.

Whether it is people you travel there with, or people you meet there, spending months in a different country with friends is bound to bring you closer. Your study abroad friends will forever be a part of your life, and you will never stop talking about your amazing times in Sevilla.