10 Struggles Every Student Faces When Sick In College

Being sick sucks, but being sick in college is worse.

9
Reader's Digest

The morning you woke up in high school with a burning fever and pounding head might not have been the best day, but at least you got to miss most of the week at school, and come back with no worries, right? Well the day I woke up with same symptoms on a Monday morning in college was not as pleasant. Class means a lot now to everyone here trying to create a future for themselves and missing really only is cheating yourself, especially to the "over achieving" student. It almost becomes impossible to be sick while we are here.

1. The professor tells you not to come to class sick, yet expects their work made up ASAP.

Specifically during syllabus week every professor says "smart students don't come to class sick." Okay, we get it but when you don't accept medical excuses and we have six other classes do we really have an option when trying to juggle all of that?

2. When walking to class actually worsens your conditions.

The thought of breathing in the cold air gives you heart palpations. And having to stop a million times to cough isn't fun either, yet you can't miss a full week of classes. Uber is too expensive, but if you have the bus system down, lucky you.

3. University Health Services doctors slips mean nothing to professors.

There might as well be no such things as doctor's slips here since they have no value. I understand this is because some people abuse this but seriously if I could walk and be a human again I would be there for your pop quizzes, prof.

4. Feeling bad keeping your roommate up all night with your hacking.

Apologizing to your roommate over your deathly hacking all night will happen a lot. I get annoyed at my own coughing so I can feel her pain.

5. Your roommate/BFF cant buy you meds or snacks with your ID.

You can't move or breathe but you need cough syrup. So your give your ID to your sweet mothering roommate only to find out she can't use it because it's not her ID. I get this policy also but WHYYYY is it so hard to get better!??!!

6. You can't move or type or anything

Breathing hurts. Typing hurts. Blinking hurts. Nothing is going to get done just accept it.

7. UHS thinks you always have a common cold.

You know this is more serious. This isn't just the "Happy Valley Sniffles" as I was told once time. Please give me more medicine.

8. Missing one lecture gives you anxiety.

There's a lot covered in an hour and fifteen minutes! Especially when I can't even follow along when I am there.

9. But sitting there hacking won't make anyone too happy.

We have all held the coughs in until we couldn't. And we have all been given a look or two also.

10. If you can't taste the food why even eat?

This is literally the worst thing about being sick, you're still hungry from time to time but can't taste how good the food really is.