10 Reasons Chihuahuas Are The Most Underrated Doggos

I learned to love chihuahuas once I got to know one.

233
My best friend, her chihuahua, and me
Abigail Cline

Chi-wow-wow! Chihuahuas are fun and loving – what better ingredients for a puppy companion! These are 10 reasons why the Chihuahua breed is underrated.

1. Cuddle monsters.

media.giphy.com

I love me some cuddles but often with a bigger dog, suffocation or a good pinch or two comes with it. With a chihuahua, they are so itty bitty that you get the best of both worlds. And they love to cuddle. Quite honestly, they are creatures with the body of a dog and the mannerisms of a cat (occasionally the sassy attitude of a cat as well). They burrow into your thigh or hip, or even your shoulder. They like to be close by and show their owner that they are there.

2. Loyalty.

media.giphy.com

Chihuahuas tend to be one-owner dogs and stay very in-tune with their human. They will love you fur-ever! After the Pulse tragedy, my friend told me that hers never left her side and constantly made skin contact. She could sense my friend's grief and showed support in the most honest and compassionate way an animal can: touch.

3. Little dogs mean little poops.

media.giphy.com

I don't know about you but I would much rather pick up a chihuahua's dump than a big dog's dump. Fur-tunately they can be trained to use pee-pads! All around they can be such an easier breed to pick up after.

4. Travel size.

media.giphy.com

Once I was at an airport with a friend who has a Chihuahua. The carrier is small enough that she was able to keep her little girl with her under the seat in front of her. My friend was able to stay in pretty constant interaction with her to comfort her and, of course, her neighbors loved the cutie. Chihuahuas have great pet-tential to be comfortable with travel once they try it a few times!

5. Fabulous fashion.

Sure, their owners may have something to do with it but chihuahuas are famous for their outfits and costumes. These hot dogs are paws-itively fetching. The pup-arrazzi will go wild!

6. Un-spatially aware.

media.giphy.com

They see a Great Dane and want to be besties because they're the same size, duh. Perhaps it's from their predecessors: the wolves.

7. Relevance in history.

Photo by iorni.com on Unsplash

Historical evidence shows a strong devotion and sacred context for small dogs, such as Chihuahuas, particularly amongst Mayans and Aztecs. There are graves that indicate that these dogs accompanied priests to temples and were part of funeral sacrifices. They were believed to guide spirits to the afterlife and even be able to predict the future.

8. Pawesome chihuahua community.

media.giphy.com

Whether carried in a purse, on a leash, or in an elbow, chihuahua owners attract other chihuahua owners. Immediate friendships are made that way. With fellow fur pup friends we can pawspurr!

9. Furry and funny.

media.giphy.com

Chihuahuas will constantly make you laugh. They burrow into furniture and make mini-forts in blankets and comforters. Be careful sitting though because any lump in the cover might be your living fur baby. With such a tiny body, their waddle can't help but be adorable. Whether they're cuddling, running, burrowing, or rolling on the floor, they will win "Cutest in the Room" every time.

10. One is never enough.

media.giphy.com

Just like humans chihuahuas need friends. The more, the merrier!

Fur-well, my furry friends.

Thank you for your appaws. ;)