Believe it or not, March is National Women's History Month. Who knew?! Its roots draw back to International Women's Day on March 8 (which you probably only know because of the Snapchat filter from last week) and the activities surrounding a week of celebrating women's history. In 1980, President Jimmy Carter declared the week of March 8 as National Women's History Week, which eventually led in 1988 to each March being declared as National Women's History Month. And fun fact, they have to declare it every year. Here's President Obama's declaration for this year. Because heck yeah, women do need a month to celebrate their history. Why not?
So in honor of this awesome month, here are some awesome quotes by some pretty bad*ss women. Embrace your womanhood, and read on.
1. “We still think of a powerful man as a born leader and a powerful woman as an anomaly.” -- Margaret Atwood
2. "Toughness doesn't have to come in a pinstripe suit." -- Dianne Feinstein
3. "Women's history is women's right." -- Dr. Gerda Lerner
4. "I want every little girl who is told she is bossy to be told she has leadership skills." -- Sheryl Sandberg
5. "I raise up my voice, not so that I can shout but so that those without a voice can be heard... we cannot succeed when half of us are held back." -- Malala Yousafzai
6. "It is amazing what a woman can do if only she ignores what men tell her she can’t." -- Carol K. Carr
7. "A strong woman looks a challenge dead in the eye and gives it a wink." -- Gina Carey
8. "There are some people who still feel threatened by strong women. That’s their problem. It’s not mine." -- Gloria Allred
9. "My idea of feminism is self-determination, and it’s very open-ended: every woman has the right to become herself, and do whatever she needs to do." --Ani DiFranco
10. "Who run the world? Girls." -- Beyonce
Happy National Women's History Month, guys.