The 10 Best Plants I've Seen In Quarantine

My official ranking of the flora in my suburban Maryland neighborhood.

64

The unwanted free time quarantine has given us has been a challenge to occupy. One thing I enjoy doing is taking a long walk on a sunny day around my parents' neighborhood in Rockville, Maryland. The following plants are by no means the most spectacular I've seen since entering quarantine, but are subtle beauties I never fully observed and appreciated before.

The Japanese Maple Tree

I am enamored with the color of this tree. Every leaf is uniformly a deep and rich burgundy, only lightened by the sun shining through them. The shape of the leaves, that of a delicate maple, create an elegant ripple in the wind.

Cherry Blossoms

Unfortunately, most of the cherry blossoms in my neighborhood at this point have fallen. My camera roll is full of images of them from a couple weeks ago, however, because they felt like soft clouds that hover a little too close to earth.

Lamb's Ear

This plant is soft. Ridiculously soft. I've never felt the ear of a lamb before, but I imagine the soft fuzz of the leaves feels similar.

Azalea Bushes

A commonality of all colors in my neighborhood, I never looked at the Azalea flower twice. But now that I'm spending my first Spring in Maryland in years, I've come to realize the pink is blinding and enamoring.

Mouse Tracks Hosta

The wide ribbed leaves of the Hosta remind me of simulated prehistoric forest floors I saw in science shows as a kid. I also love the gentle green and the hydrophobic slick leaves.

Rhododendron

I love flowers that bunch together in such a way that they look like one big flower. The way rhododendrons extend out and up make it look like they are presenting passerbys with bouquets.

Pine Trees

Big pines take a long time to grow and I want to appreciate how long this one must have taken. Also, I want to appreciate the 1950's suburban sprawl that allowed this formerly short tree to find a place in the ground where I can see it from my window.

Petunias

Have you ever noticed how petunias feel like velvet? I also think they look like horns, emitting beautiful music.

Spotted Laurel

These leaves are deceptively prickly. I learned that lesson trying to grab those little hard shiny berries.

Winter Creeper

Leaves are not appreciated as much as flowers but this vine should change that forever.