10 Period Pieces To Curb Your Bridgerton Hangover

Romance, drama, and amazing clothes? These shows are right up your alley!

85
Photo by David Balev on Unsplash

When I saw the preview for Netflix's Bridgerton I knew I had to watch it. Within a few days, I had watched the entire series and it left me on such a TV hangover that is hard to shake. I loved the Gossip Girl meets Pride and Prejudice set up of the show. It was fun and full of love and drama and I was obsessed. Awaiting a second season I decided to share some of my favorite historical fiction for those who are craving some more shows like Bridgerton.

1. Downton Abbey

Downton Abbey follows both a wealthy family and their servants. Sex, drama, and scandal plague Downton and it becomes so addicting you won't want to stop watching.

Where to watch: Amazon Prime

Downton Abbey Season 1 - Trailer www.youtube.com

2. Victoria

This Masterpiece classic follows the young Queen Victoria as she navigates love and finding her way as she becomes Queen.

Where to watch: Amazon Prime

VICTORIA PREMIERE TRAILER www.youtube.com

3. Catherine the Great

Fantastic limited series on the tale end of Catherine the Great's life and her love affair with Grigory Potemkin.

Where to watch: HBO

Catherine the Great (2019): Official Trailer | HBO www.youtube.com

4. Alias Grace

This one's a little different than the rest, but the themes of love, sex, mystery, and drama are all still present in this limited series.

Where to watch: Netflix

Alias Grace | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix www.youtube.com

5. Reign

This follows a young Mary Queen of Scots and her life from the moment she arrives in France to her death. I consider this the "if Mary Queen of Scots went to Coachella" series and the fun of it makes the show enjoyable.

Where to watch: Netflix

Reign Full Trailer - Season 1 Preview! www.youtube.com

6. Ekaterina: The Rise of Catherine the Great

This is another Masterpiece classic that revolves around Catherine the Great but it doesn't just focus on the end of her life but more so when she is young and into who she will become.

Where to watch: Amazon Prime

Ekaterina Екатерина Catherine Trailer English Dub www.youtube.com

7. Versailles

Versailles centers around the Palace of Versailles during the reign of Louis XIV. Glamour, drama, and political intrigue will hook you from the start.

Where to watch: Netflix

Versailles | Season 1 Trailer www.youtube.com

8. The Borgias

The Borgias follows the Borgia family during Renaissance-era Italy as they rise to power. Murder, power, wealth, and scandal all make this series one that you will want to finish the second you start.

Where to watch: Netflix

The Borgias Season 1: Official Trailer www.youtube.com

9. Medici: Masters of Florence/ Medici The Magnificent

This series focuses on the most powerful family in medieval Italy. Vying for power and control, the Medici family makes for an intriguing series that'll keep you wanting more.

Where to watch: Netflix

MEDICI: MASTERS OF FLORENCE (Starring Richard Madden) - Official Trailer www.youtube.com

10. The Tudors

Finally, the Tudors is about the reign of King Henry VIII and all six of his wives. We see the monarch fall in and out of love and the insane abuses of power that lead to death, fear, and scandal that ultimately aided in the poor image of his reign.

Where to watch: Netflix

Tudors: Season 1 trailer www.youtube.com