10 Must-See Sights As A First Time Tourist In Chicago

After spending one week in Chicago, here are my recommendations.

33
Photo by Bhargava Marripati on Pexels

I traveled to Chicago for one week to explore the city — from the astounding architecture to the bustling travel life. It was my first time in Chicago, although I stayed with people who have lived in Chicago for several years. From this experience, I learned about some of the most beautiful places to visit, sights to see, and events to participate in within the city. With their help, I chose several places to travel to within walking, train, or bus distance so that I could make the most of my week in the city. Here are my personal recommendations of places to visit in Chicago, especially if you are visiting in the summertime!

Millennium Park

Obviously, every tourist MUST see the famous bean. I enjoyed the beautiful architecture in the area, and of course, I took many pictures within the bean itself!

Giordano’s 

This heavenly deep dish pizza place serves some of the best Chicago deep dish pizza — a classic! Every tourist must try the cuisine, and deep dish pizza is a huge part of the culture in Chicago.

Michigan Avenue Shops

If you’re looking for a shopping adventure, Michigan Avenue is the place for you. This street is lined with hundreds of stores to fit everyone in the family’s needs!

Ducky Derby

This special event, benefitting the Special Olympics, takes place annually in the river. People can adopt rubber ducks, and thousands are dumped into the river to race to the finish line. All ducks are removed in the end to avoid pollution!

Portillo’s

Chicago is also well known for its hot dog shops! This class hot dog eatery provides some of the most delicious and intricately topped hot dogs in the area.

Chinatown 

From bubble tea to small shops, Chinatown has it all. Walk around at night, and enjoy the lovely atmosphere!

Succezz

This shoe store values customer service and provides a fun area to shop for new, trendy shoes! The prices are also incredible!

JoJo’s Shake Bar

These fancy milkshakes will leave you wanting more! The hundreds of toppings, from s’mores to chocolate pretzels, create an amazing display within a milkshake! These shakes are perfect for photo opportunities.

Architecture Tours

Learn about the huge variety of beautiful architecture within the city. Hop onto a boat and explore!

Lincoln Park Zoo

This well-maintained zoo provides a friendly atmosphere for children and their families to check out some amazing animals, from zebras to giraffes!