10 mistakes most dog owners make

10 mistakes most dog owners make

Being a pet parent has as many responsibilities as being just a normal parent. A lot of factors such as dedication, sensitivity, presence of mind and a loving environment, apart from the necessary cuddles and games also play a key role in this case.

25
10 mistakes most dog owners make

Pet owners often end up committing some serious mistakes which we'll list down here for you to avoid in future. Following is the list by Pawstro, a digital pet portrait company that might cause you to feel guilty if not taken care of wisely.

1)Impulsive dog buying: It is true that resisting them 'puppy eyes' is very difficult. Especially when you get to know that a specific dog is really in need of a home. So, make sure that you take some practical decisions before bringing home one. Make sure that you can really take good care of them and make them your first priority. Take out ample amounts of time for dog training, dog exercise, dog bonding etc.

Take a note that bringing a dog home comes with lots of additional costing. You should also be willing to bear up with their illnesses, shedding problems and behavioral problems etc. Also, do consider the apt dog size considering your space.

2)Improper Socialisation and Training: Socialization is one of the most important aspects that a dog needs to get familiar with. It is a MUST NEED for every pet. Some of them need more of it in fact. Take them out to meet your friends or their pets frequently, for them to understand socialization rules. Do not think of it as a burden, you'll also get to bond over well with people by this. It will indeed turn out to be very enriching and fun. Socializing will allow your dog to get used to certain things flawlessly like objects, humans, the environment, other pets and various other situations.

If this is not dealt with sensitively, then your dog will end up having behavioural problems. Also, if you find them to be hyperactive and super excited all the time, it's a sign that they need more exercise than usual, failure to do this can affect their health severely.

3)No Frequent Vet Visits: Do not wait for the day when your dog starts feeling super sick. Take them to the vet frequently. You might always feel that your doggo is all healthy and feeling just right, but many times, this might not be true! Did you know that most dogs tend to hide their illness till the time it becomes completely unbearable? Frequent vet visits will not let this happen at all.

It indeed helps in fostering the relationship between you and your beloved doggo, making it easy for you to diagnose the illness and treat it well as and when it comes along.

4)Neglecting their dental health: You might feel that a doggo breath is 'normal'. But it isn't! If they are left unchecked for long, then this can turn out to be a serious periodontal disease. The worst case can be that your dog might end up having tooth loss, kidney failure or even heart diseases.

Hence, we recommend you make them stick to a strict tooth brushing routine. Use a clean set of dental care for the same. Ask for your vet's recommendations. Commit to taking them for regular dental cleanings.

5) Improper feeding: Before you go to shop for some dog food, be extra cautious in checking the labels, reviews of the same. Have a word with your vet and other people who might have expertise in dogs. If at all there is improper feeding, they can end up having health issues like skin disease or malnutrition.

Do not end up overfeeding them too. Canines getting obese is a major problem. You should ask for a proper doggo diet plan from your vet.

6)Not being selective about treats and chews: Many dogs end up chewing human food which is very toxic to the dogs.

Hence, always choose to give them the necessary treats after proper consulting. Know that it is called a treat for a reason and that you give it to them only after they do something applaudable (most of the time). A treat should not be more than 10% of the dog's intake.

7)Dog budget failure: Owning a dog does cost a lot of money. Sometimes, lots of it. Your budget should include all the aspects such as their usual routine associated cost. For eg: Food, Vet Care, dog supplies, training, hiring a pet sitter, travel cost etc. However, if you feel that your money is quite tight, you can always find ways to save. But yes, you still need an above-average budget.

8)Avoiding under or over-pampering: Dogs start facing behavioural issues when they are quite young. Ignoring their weird behaviour even for a short span of time will end up hampering their growth.

You need to be very careful of your behaviour with them too. Do be loving, gentle, caring but too much pampering is also not good. If you still feel that their behaviour is not up to the mark, go for a behaviour modification wisely and not any harsh punishments!

9)Not protecting your dog well: Dogs are often lost and stolen. Choose to take the necessary steps to protect them and keep them safe at any cost. This is quite obvious, but do keep them attended on a leash at least when you are outdoors. Put an ID tag around them positively along with the collar that you'd put.

Do go for microchipping which will act as an added protected layer for your dog. If at all, your dog gets lost, this will help you reunite with your lost dog quickly.

10) Getting the wrong breed: Make sure that you get an apt sized dog as compared to your space. If your space is too small and your dog is too big, then it might affect your dog's routine.

He might not be able to drain his energy and might end up getting very aggressive. Also, do extensive research while picking up a breed also depending on how much time you'll be able to spare for them and what is the purpose of having them around.

With this, we hope that you do your research well if you are going to become new proud pet parents. Do not take anything lightly, be extra cautious and make sure that you don't make your dog feel suffocated or over pamper them. We are sure that your lives will take another interesting and pawsitive turn here. Good luck to you and your pooch!