10 Food And Drink Alternatives To Coffee To Help You Get Through The Day

Here's to those trying to kick their coffee addiction.

122
pexels.com

Ah, coffee. The aromatic beverage that likely over half the population drinks regularly to make it through each day. And, frankly, who can blame them? With antioxidants, the ability to reduce the risk of some diseases and, most importantly, about 100 mg of caffeine per cup, coffee seems like the perfect energy drink.

However, if you’re consuming several cups a day – for some people, all it takes is one – the caffeine can take a turn for the worse, causing you to feel anxious, antsy or have sleepless nights. Plus, such high caffeine intake often yields the crash once it wears off, leaving you feeling more exhausted than before.

Besides these symptoms, coffee can just be downright inconvenient. Maybe it stains your teeth; it might lead you to spend more time in your “throne room” than you’d like; you’ve probably spent way too much time of your life waiting in line at your campus’ Starbucks.

But just because you’re ready to cut down on your coffee intake does not mean you won’t find a replacement. In fact, there are plenty of foods and drinks that, while they may not have as much caffeine as coffee (covfefe?), can get the job done. Check out some of the best alternatives below:

1. Kombucha tea

As one of the trending health foods right now, there’s a good chance you’ve heard of Kombucha, but may not know exactly what it is. Kombucha has actually been around for a while (apparently, its origins date back to 2000 years ago), and is a fermented drink comprised of tea, sugar, bacteria and yeast. It provides your body with probiotics among many other health benefits, and contains about 24 mg of caffeine per cup.

2. Black tea

Though its caffeine content may vary, black tea usually has about 50 mg of caffeine per cup, making it the most caffeinated tea on this list. There’s quite a range of flavors, so try to do some taste tests to find your favorite.

3. Chai tea

Though, like coffee, chai tea can be an acquired taste, its strong spices are invigorating and truly warming. It provides you with antioxidants, along with 40 mg of caffeine per cup, giving you a soothing kind of energy that may feel steadier than the rush of coffee. P.S. I highly recommend adding some milk to it to give it a coffee-esque feel.

4. Green tea

Green tea is widely known for its health benefits, helping you feel good from the inside out, but it also contains 35 mg of caffeine per cup, making it a good go-to for those late afternoon slumps.

5. Matcha

Speaking of green tea, matcha is actual crushed up green tea leaves in powder form, so it packs more punch than just steeping the leaves alone. Although it was hard to find a definitive caffeine amount, it tends to typically have about a third of what’s in coffee. As a bonus, it is LOADED with antioxidants to help your body feel good and your mind focus.

6. Dark chocolate

That’s right, chocolate! Besides health benefits, dark chocolate has 70 mg of caffeine in one bar. So, it will definitely wake you up, but just remember, it doesn’t mean you should necessarily eat the whole bar all at once – you don’t want to worry about a stomach ache, and plus, even half will make a difference in your energy level.

7. Pomegranate juice

Pomegranate juice is a powerhouse when it comes to your health and energy levels. Chock-full of vitamins, it contains glucose, which your brain uses for nutrients and can be converted into energy quickly. It also carries carbs and iron, which your body can turn into energy and use to fight anemia, a lack of iron that can cause fatigue, respectively.

8. Apples

Although apples do not contain caffeine, they contain 13 grams of natural sugar, which is even better for your body than caffeine! It delivers nutrients that will energize you and make you feel revitalized all day.

9. And therefore, apple cider (vinegar)

Yes, you could get away with sipping some hot apple cider to put some sugar into your body, but your best bet is to opt for apple cider vinegar. Your first instinct might be to cringe, but if you mix it with some hot water, lemon and honey, you’ll have yourself a cozy drink that provides you with nutrients that are good for your guts, decrease fatigue and help your immune system.

10. Oatmeal

Oatmeal is a great way to start your day. Filled with carbs, fiber and some protein, your body will turn those carbs into fuel slowly but surely, allowing for long-lasting effects.