10 Final Thoughts On "Grey's Anatomy"

10 Final Thoughts On "Grey's Anatomy"

Watching 16 seasons in 6 weeks gives me a lot to say.

7
10 Final Thoughts On "Grey's Anatomy"
User 12019 on Pixabay

After finishing 16 seasons in a little over a month, I have way too much to say about this TV show. From the characters to the medicine, there's a lot to critique, but here are the opinions I really feel the need to say in my last post about Grey's Anatomy.

Addison Montgomery is the best character

I know she cheated on Derek with his best friend, but, once we see how Derek treats her, I can barely fault her. She genuinely tries to be a good wife, is a fun and kind person, and easily the best surgeon on the show -she's the top surgeon in the hardest field, a genetic expert, and a board certified OBGYN. She really should have gotten chief, but g=we're glad she didn't because she got her own show instead! (which I have now started...)

Meredith Grey isn't so bad

I didn't like her "dark and twisty" thing for a long time, nor did I like her use of the phrase "my person," but, once Derek died, she got so much better! She started innovating her field of surgery, received a Harper Avery, and is being a great friend and mother. Her voice still annoys me, but at least her character doesn't.

No one on here should ever have a long-term relationship

The only relationship that has lasted is Miranda Bailey and Ben Warren, and even that one is overly messy. Who kicks their husband out of their house indefinitely when he didn't even do anything? But, anyway, Callie and Arizona became a hot mess after the plane crash, and they were great before then! Owen gets married to every woman he dates and sleeps with them after the divorces (also cheating on them all...) Richard cheats on both his wives. Alex left Jo for Izzy, of all people. Like, in real life, adult relationships do this thing where they last if the relationship is any good. Grey's Anatomy seemed to miss that.

The cast isn't diverse at all

I know they include black actors in major roles, but there are no main Asian actors after Cristina, no Native Americans, no Arabs, and no one from India. I don't know if this is true everywhere, but more than half of the 40 doctors I've seen have been minorities and Grey's fails to represent the real medical community here.

Amelia is great now that her tumor is gone

I know people don't like Amelia, but she's such a good person, an amazing surgeon, and way more fun than the other characters. She's also a great example of how addicts can stay clean.

Owen manages to be worse than Derek

This man told his wife that she murdered their child when he held her during the abortion. He also refused to give a patient an abortion because he was mad at Amelia. He also cheated on Cristina to hurt her, cheated on Amelia because he didn't like feeling alone, and cheated on his ex-fiancé with Cristina when they met. I'm rooting for Koracick all the way, and, honestly, pretty happy that Teddy cheated with him so Owen could get a taste of his own medicine. If one man on this show has no respect for women, it's Owen Hunt. Derek may have done a lot of crap to Meredith, but at least he was mostly a good guy to everyone else.

Richard is way worse than the show portrays him

Richard is supposed to be the show's father figure, that everyone respects and want to make proud, but he's nothing great. He's performed surgeries while drunk, been a cheater multiple times, only didn't marry Ellis because he didn't like the fact that she was better at surgery than him, and now he's in love with Catherine, who is one of the most evil characters that Grey's pretends is a good person.

Meredith and Alex are better friends than Meredith and Cristina

Meredith and Cristina would fight and not talk to each other for long periods of time, but Alex and Meredith go to each other whenever they need advice or a friend. That's a much more real and less toxic friendship in my book.

Old Bailey was better than new Bailey

Back when Bailey was "The Nazi," she was on top of everything, clearly the best. Everyone came to her advice, but she didn't like hearing anyone's drama. Now, she gets into everyone's business and makes reckless decisions (like injecting a boy with a curative HIV virus without parental consent.)

Maggie is only bad when she likes a guy

While Maggie is a really annoying character, that can largely be contributed to her "child genius." When you're five years ahead, no one will ever want to talk to you, or have a crush on you. Maggie got zero socialization for about 20 years. She gets decent at having friends, despite her random need to spill out everyone's business, but she still can't manage a relationship. She really wants nothing to do with men, even though she thinks she does.