10 Easy And Healthy Snacks

10 Easy And Healthy Snacks

You're not you when you're "hangry."

25
10 Easy And Healthy Snacks

It's 3:00 p.m., and you're just walking into class. You sit down, open up your notebook and start to pay attention to a lecture. But then your stomach starts to rumble and rudely interrupts any line of focus that you had. You then begin to think about that cheeseburger you had earlier, the pizza you're going to have for dinner and how you wish you had a huge plate of chili cheese fries right now in this instant.

Instead, what you need is a healthy snack. Healthy snacks are a great way to incorporate more nutrients into your daily diet. They also help to control appetite and cravings while also providing you with an added energy source.

1. Apple or banana slices with one tablespoon of peanut butter

Peanut butter is a great protein source! The fruit should help conquer that sweet tooth too.

2. One cup of celery, pepper and/or carrot sticks with a quarter cup of hummus or bean dip

Hummus is one of those things where you like it or you don't. You could replace the hummus with another protein source such as a low-fat mozzarella cheese stick, or you can add peanut butter to your celery and make ants on a log.

3. Six to eight ounces of plain, nonfat Greek yogurt with a half cup of berries and one teaspoon of drizzled honey

Who doesn't like yogurt? Well, a lot of people. But if you do like yogurt, it is a great snack for your mid-afternoon hunger crisis!

4. Coffee banana smoothie

One sliced frozen banana, a half cup nonfat milk or unsweetened almond milk, a half cup cold coffee and a pinch of cinnamon. Blend until smooth.

5. "Snack baggie"

A half cup whole grain low sugar cereal (Cheerios is a good one), one tablespoon of dried fruit and one tablespoon of nuts.

6. A half cup of low-fat cottage cheese with cherry tomatoes and celery sticks for dipping

You can season the cottage cheese with chives and pepper for added flavor.

7. Fill one hard-boiled egg with a quarter cup mashed avocado and drizzled with hot sauce

This sounds a little different, I know. But it's a great versatile snack that can also be an excellent breakfast item.

8. Whole grain crackers with a side of salsa and guacamole

Guac isn't extra here; it's the star of the show.

9. Fruit of choice with a part-skim mozzarella cheese stick

Cheese sticks aren't just for elementary school children anymore.

10. One rice cake or 100 percent whole wheat English muffin with one tablespoon of almond butter or peanut butter

Here's another great snack that can also be had in the morning before your long day at work or school.

Most of these snacks can be prepared the night before or very quickly when you want them. The protein in them should be able to hold you over in between meals unlike potato chips or sweets. It's time to ditch the junk food and bring in protein-filled, nutrient-dense snacks!