10 Dos And Don'ts Of Your Freshman Year Of College

College is an adventure, make the most of it.

75

Your first year of college is already nerve-wracking enough. New place, new people, new classes. Everything is brand new and it can become extremely overwhelming. It often helps to have some advice before starting your freshman year of college, so here are a few dos and don'ts I learned from my own experiences.

1. DO keep your door open

Dorm life is a part of the college experience. Keeping your door open is a great way to meet new people and become friends with your floor mates.

2. DON'T prioritize your social life over your schoolwork

I promise that the party won't be worth it when your grades start to suffer.

3. DO get involved on your campus

Getting involved on campus is a great way to meet people. There are countless clubs and organizations on campus that are always looking for new members. Find something that interests you and give it a shot!

4. DON'T overextend yourself

Getting involved is great, but don't overextend yourself. Sure, signing up for 7 different clubs might sound fun at the time, but when midterms roll around, you'll probably have to step back from a few to keep your grades up.

5. DO go to class

I can't stress this one enough. Sometimes it may be easier to skip that 9 a.m. class, but it will only hurt you in the long run.

6. DON'T procrastinate

This is so important. We're all guilty of procrastination at some point, but don't wait until 11 p.m. the night before a 12 page research paper is due to start it.

7. DO attend study sessions

A lot of classes have TA's with certain study sessions throughout the semester. It's a lot easier to learn material within a study group than it is in a lecture with 200+ people. Take advantage of any extra resources that your school has to offer.

8. DON'T be afraid of your professor

Professors are there to help you! Sure some can seem intimidating at first, but most of them are very nice people.

9. DO go to your professor's office hours

Office hours are a great time to ask questions about any material you don't understand. This also shows initiative and lets the professor know that you actually care about your grade. It can even mean the difference between a B+ an A-.

10. DON'T expect everything to go perfectly

College is an adventure. Not everything will go your way, but that's just part of life! Don't dwell on the things you can't control and instead try to make the most out of your freshman year because it goes by fast.