10 Diverse Books To Add To Your Child's Book Collection

The best way to start teaching your child acceptance from a young age is by reading diverse children's books to her!

30
Photo by Ben White on Unsplash

I believe it is very important to teach people acceptance! The best way to start teaching your child acceptance from a young age is by reading diverse children's books to her! There are tons of books to share from, but I am going to list ten books that have close to five star ratings! These books have beautiful pictures and stories!!

1. "Planting Stories: The Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpré" by Anika Aldamuy Denise

CIA Library | The CIA's library is a valuable resource to Ag… | Flickr CIA Library | The CIA's library is a valuable resource to Ag… | Flickr

The book is about Pura Belpré's life. She came to New York from Puerto Rico to follow her dreams! Here is a link to purchase the book!

2. "We Are Grateful: Otsaliheliga" by Traci Sorell

Chief Standing Deer - Cherokee Indian Reservation, North C… | Flickr Chief Standing Deer - Cherokee Indian Reservation, North C… | Flickr

This book discusses the modern day Cherokee culture! Here is the link to the book.

3. "A New Home" by Tania de Regil

File:Ciudad.de.Mexico.City.Distrito.Federal.DF.Paseo.Reforma ... File:Ciudad.de.Mexico.City.Distrito.Federal.DF.Paseo.Reforma ...

This book is about two children who are moving. One child is moving from New York to Mexico City and the other is moving from Mexico City to New York! the book shows the similarities and differences in their homes! Here is a link.

4. "Queen of Physics: How Wu Chien Shiung Helped Unlock the Secrets of the Atom" by Teresa Robeson

File:Chien-shiung Wu (1912-1997) C.jpg - Wikimedia Commons File:Chien-shiung Wu (1912-1997) C.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

This is the life story of Wu Chien Shiung, an incredible and talented woman! Here is the link to the book.

5. "The Day You Begin" Jacqueline Woodson

woman standing in front of children Photo by National Cancer Institute on Unsplash

This book is about celebrating and learning to understand the things that make you and your peers different. Here is the link!

6. "Between Us and Abuela: A Family Story from the Border " by Mitali Perkins

woman in pink long sleeve shirt and blue skirt standing on street with red and white Photo by Cristian Newman on Unsplash

This is a story about two children visiting their grandmother who lives in mexico. They meet her at the border. This book brings light to immigration. Follow this link to see the book.

7. "Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story" by Kevin Noble Maillard

American Indian Fry Bread | With cinnamon and sugar! From ww… | Flickr American Indian Fry Bread | With cinnamon and sugar! From ww… | Flickr

This book is about how a traditional native american food bring people together. Here is the link to the book.

8. "Sulwe" by Lupita Nyong'o

five human hands on brown surface Photo by Clay Banks on Unsplash

This book is meant to inspire children to love themselves and their skin color! Here is the link to the book.

9. "Saturday" by Oge Mora

photography of woman carrying baby near street during daytime Photo by Sai De Silva on Unsplash

This book is about a young girl and her mother spending the day together. However, there day is not what they expected. This book shows the reader that spending time with loved ones is fun! Here is a link to the book.

10. "The Proudest Blue: A story of Hijab and Family" by Ibtihaj Muhammad

woman looking up Photo by Ifrah Akhter on Unsplash

This book is from the view point of Faizah, her oldest sister is wearing a hijab to school for the first time. This book highlights the power and pride women and girls feel when wearing their hijab. Here is the link.

Even if you don't have a child, you can still read these books! Children's books are magical pieces of art that can be enjoyed by everyone!